Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The number of sources used in this article is 14. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
Baking soda is a key ingredient in many dental products. This is an inexpensive way to whiten teeth, kill germs and remove stains from teeth. Try mixing regular toothpaste with baking soda, or make a toothpaste or scrub.
Advantages and disadvantages of a folk approach
In addition to the absolute safety of the component, which can be used even in the process of cooking, the following points can be attributed to the advantages of the approach:
- Availability and price. To brush your teeth with soda, you do not need to spend a fortune on the purchase of ingredients or look for components in specialized stores. The main component can be found in any grocery store and it costs a penny.
- Effectiveness. The effect is comparable to the achievements of professional cleaning, in which, by the way, soda is also often used. The maximum positive result is achieved by mixing the product with hydrogen peroxide.
- The speed of the effect. Positive changes are evident after the first approach. Regular manipulations guarantee a lasting result.
Unfortunately, for all the safety and naturalness of baking soda, its use, especially uncontrolled, can lead to negative consequences or side effects:
- Soda is an abrasive; therefore, plaque is removed by mechanical cleaning of the surface. Even if everything is done correctly, the enamel will gradually become covered with small scratches.
- The result is not durable. A few days after the end of the sessions, the teeth will begin to darken again.
- In some people, after soda enters the gums, irritation appears, and increased bleeding of tissues is noted. Allergic rashes occur around the lips and on the mucous membrane.
- The gradual thinning of enamel leads to an increase in tooth sensitivity, especially when using intensive preparations with hydrogen peroxide. If you do not know how to care for enamel in such cases, after some time you can encounter serious problems.
Choosing this approach, you need to consult with a specialist. Only if the doctor believes that the enamel is thick enough and not prone to destruction, you can try specific therapy.
Rules that will help to minimize the negative consequences of using an abrasive
To treat teeth with baking soda and not worry about their condition, the following recommendations should be observed:
- Manipulation should be carried out no more than once every 7-10 days. If the condition of the teeth allows, then this should be done even less often.
- In the process of using the active composition, toothbrushes should not be used. Enamel must be protected from additional aggressive effects. This can be achieved if you use cotton swabs and tampons or just fingertips.
- In the periods between cleansing, you should try to restore damaged enamel to the maximum, using pastes with a high content of mineral components, for example, fluorine and calcium.
At the first symptoms of increased enamel sensitivity, therapy should be discontinued and wait several months. Only then can you try another course.
Popular and Effective Soda Brushing Techniques
At home, it is recommended to treat teeth with soda using one of the following methods:
- The use of dry powder. Very effective, but rather traumatic for enamel approach. The dry mass is simply applied to the surface of the teeth and rubbed with light movements. The likelihood of thinning of enamel and irritation of the gums is quite high, but the smile becomes noticeably whiter after the first manipulation.
Tip: Whatever the exposure option, using a toothbrush as a tool is strictly prohibited. The composition can be applied only with a cotton sponge, cotton buds or fingertips.
- Concentrate. Baking soda is dissolved in a small amount of water and continue to add and mix the powder until it stops dissolving. With this mass we brush our teeth, and then rinse our mouth.
- Paste. Add a little soda to your favorite toothpaste and use it in the traditional way. The best option would be to use a composition with a high fluorine content, this will protect the enamel as much as possible. In this case, the use of a toothbrush is allowed, but its bristles should be very soft.
- Intensive composition with hydrogen peroxide. This approach is recommended to be used no more than once every 3-4 weeks. It is characterized by increased efficiency and quickly whitens enamel, but with frequent manipulations it destroys tissue. A small amount of powder is mixed with 3% hydrogen peroxide until a thick paste is formed. We massage her teeth for no more than 2 minutes, then carefully rinse her mouth. The product should not fall on the gums! To increase the effectiveness of the paste, you can add a few drops of lemon juice to it.
For some time after brushing, especially with hydrogen peroxide, it is not recommended to additionally affect the teeth with floss, toothpicks, a brush or a heavy meal.
Useful properties of soda when brushing your teeth
Its useful to note! Soda is a disinfectant with minimal toxicity.
This substance is available to everyone, besides it is cheap. Soda is known for its disinfecting properties.therefore cleans any surface.
Such a tool is in every home, it is used by cosmetology, in traditional medicine, in cooking, etc. But it is worth noting that soda copes well with plaque. Some countries use it as a toothpaste. What is the reason for this?
- Soda removes yellow and gray deposits on the teeth.
- Instantly copes with pollution. After a few minutes, the person acquires a radiant smile.
- Antiseptic. This means that soda inhibits various inflammations, diseases of the oral mucosa and gums.
- Relieves stagnant plaque and cleans hard-to-reach spots.
- Such a tool fights against microorganisms, eliminates bad breath and freshens breath.
- Soda also neutralizes acids that form caries. Soda cleaning - caries prevention.
How does the remedy work?
As it turned out, soda is used for brushing your teeth, eliminates gum disease and tooth decay.
Note! It is scientifically proven that products containing 30-60% baking soda can remove plaque.
It is believed that sodium bicarbonate increases the pH in the oral cavity, and this neutralizes the harmful effects of bacterial metabolic acids.
Sodium bicarbonate effectively removes plaque and acts as a polishing agent. But nevertheless, teeth can react sharply to soda. For example, this happens if a person has thin or damaged enamel. The tool begins to increase the sensitivity of the teeth, the enamel becomes thinner.
Enamel takes on an unhealthy appearance due to various factors. Teeth turn yellow or dark. The main reasons are:
- lack of oral hygiene,
- coffee, tea and smoking interfere with the appearance of plaque
- silver amalgam seal,
- injured tooth with a damaged neurovascular bundle,
- drinking water with the maximum amount of fluoride.
Important! Use this tool can those who suffer from yellow plaque, unpleasant odor and tooth decay.
If a person has tartar, then soda powder will help get rid of it. The tool is able to remove even hardened plaque.
Not everyone can afford such a method, since there is number of contraindications.
- Soda cleaning is prohibited for people who wear braces.
- Sensitive and sophisticated enamel.
- There are crowns or dentures.
- A large number of fillings in the oral cavity.
- The presence of palpitis, parondotitis, gingivitis.
The benefits and harms of brushing your teeth with soda
Baking soda is a disinfectant and antiseptic that helps well with diseases of the oral cavity. Its solution can be used as an antifungal agent. This effect is achieved by creating an alkaline environment in the oral cavity that is unfavorable for bacteria. Rinsing with this solution is completely safe for the body and is great for treating affected areas of the oral cavity, even in infants.
Rinsing your mouth with such a solution is also useful for those who want to get rid of bad breath. However, brushing your teeth with soda powder is still completely safe. What are the benefits and harms of this enamel whitening method?
The cleaning effect of the use of soda is associated with its abrasive properties, that is, small particles mechanically remove the top layer of enamel along with the deposits formed on it. As a result, it brightens.
Toothpastes do not clean teeth like powder does. A quick visible result is an advantage of this method.
Accessibility is another plus of baking soda. It is in every house, so such enamel brightening will be inexpensive, unlike the procedure carried out in a dental clinic.
However, when asked whether soda can be brushed, dentists respond ambiguously, and there are enough reasons for this.
If you regularly use the powder for cleaning, the enamel will become thinner and deteriorate. The short-term effect is the disadvantage of this whitening method. After a few days, the enamel will begin to darken, as it is affected by external factors (smoking, drinking tea, coffee).
Due to its abrasive effect, baking soda can injure the gums and cause bleeding. Often after its use, rashes appear around the mouth - an allergic reaction.
Keep in mind that this method is very traumatic and contributes to increased sensitivity and thinning of enamel. Therefore, only people with strong enamel can carry out bleaching in this way. However, even for them, dentists do not recommend brushing their teeth with soda every day.
In the video, the author talks about possible negative consequences:
How to reduce the negative effects
People who decide to try to remove plaque with baking soda, the question arises, how often can this procedure be performed and how to do it correctly. There are several rules, observing which you can effectively brighten tooth enamel without compromising health.
- Use this method no more than 1 time in 10 days. Dentists strongly prohibit the use of soda for brushing your teeth every day.
- For this, use a brush with soft bristles or discard it completely and use a cotton swab or fingers to apply the solution. Hard bristles will additionally injure tooth enamel and contribute to its even greater damage.
- After the enamel clarification procedure, it is necessary to refrain from consuming hot and cold food for several hours.
- If after cleaning the sensitivity of the enamel has increased and pain has appeared during the use of hot and cold dishes, then the use of baking soda should be stopped.
- To maintain the enamel, use fluoride pastes with a high content of minerals and mouthwashes with fluorides.
- Before the whitening course, try to eat more foods containing fluoride and calcium (dairy products, apples, nuts).
A lot of fluoride is found in apples, nuts, greens
If you do not know how to brush your teeth with soda, then you can cause irreparable harm to them. Therefore, adhere to the rules described above during the bleaching procedure.
Methods for whitening tooth enamel with soda
There are several ways to get rid of plaque with baking soda. The simplest is dry powder cleaning. It is necessary to apply a little powder and walk it over the entire surface of the teeth. You should not use a toothbrush for this, it is better to take a damp cotton pad. The result will be visible immediately - the enamel will brighten.
More gentle will be whitening with a soda mixture. Prepare a concentrated solution: for this, dilute the powder in a small amount of water until it stops dissolving. Then use a gauze or cotton pad to brush your teeth.
Another way is to use a paste, in which you need to add a little soda before cleaning. To do this, it is better to choose a fluoride paste that supports and restores tooth enamel. It is recommended to use a brush with soft bristles.
In the video, the author talks about bleaching soda:
Preparation of soda solutions for brushing your teeth
To whiten tooth enamel, you can use combined formulations. For example, a solution with hydrogen peroxide is often used. To prepare the solution, take a little 3% hydrogen peroxide and mix with soda until a thick homogeneous mass is obtained. To brush your teeth with this tool is recommended no more than 2-3 minutes. After cleaning, rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water.
A solution of hydrogen peroxide enhances the whitening properties of soda, so the effect of the application will be better and more noticeable. But the destructive effect on enamel is stronger, so it is extremely rare to use such a cleansing mixture.
Another option for a combined cleaning product is baking soda and lemon juice. To a small amount of powder you need to add a few drops of lemon juice. Brush your teeth with this solution for no longer than 3 minutes, and then rinse your mouth thoroughly. The resulting mixture is very aggressive for tooth enamel and can cause significant harm. Therefore, you can use this recipe only if your teeth are perfectly healthy.
There is an option in which all 3 of the above ingredients are mixed: soda, lemon juice and a solution of hydrogen peroxide. This mixture must be prepared with great care in exact proportions. Take 1/2 tsp. soda, 1/2 tsp. lemon juice and 5 drops of 3% peroxide solution. To use a brush in this case is forbidden. Apply the mixture with your finger to the surface of the teeth. Try to do this as carefully as possible, preventing the solution from getting on the gums. After 2-3 minutes, rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. After using this mixture, it is recommended to refrain from taking hot and cold dishes and drinks for several hours, as the sensitivity of the enamel will increase.
And another option for preparing a whitening solution for teeth is a combination of baking soda and strawberries. Take 2-3 strawberries, mash them until smooth and mix with a small amount of powder. For brushing your teeth with this mixture, it is better to use a brush with soft bristles.
A mixture of strawberries and soda is more gentle than previous solutions, so you can brush your teeth for 5-10 minutes. After the procedure, it is necessary to rinse your mouth well with warm water and be sure to brush your teeth with a paste containing fluorine and minerals.
In the video, the author talks about how to brush your teeth with soda:
This article was edited by doctors - the center for implantation of teeth ICDI ROOTT
Benefit and harm
Many people can not decide whether they should apply such a cleaning or not. After all, the benefits and harms are almost equal. So what factors are in favor and to the detriment?
- cost (very low price)
- soda powder does not cause allergies,
- restores blood circulation, and this strengthens the enamel,
- fights bad odor and harmful bacteria
- noticeable and quick effect,
- safety for the treatment of stomatitis in children,
- soda helps clean hard to reach places
- a good disinfectant that helps to cope with many ailments of the oral cavity.
- frequent use leads to the destruction of enamel and bleeding gums,
- tooth sensitivity to hot and cold food is increased,
- if there is hypersensitivity to the components of the composition, then the area around the mouth may become covered with red spots,
- gum injury
- scratches may appear on the enamel, and the structure of the tooth may be disturbed,
- the result is short-lived, because the tooth surface quickly darkens.
The sequence of cleaning at home. Recipes
Each person uses soda for teeth differently. But worth knowing about everyone features of use at home.
- A small amount of dry powder can be applied to your fingertips and teeth can be treated.
- You can also use cotton pads, but this procedure is not pleasant for everyone.
- Soda is also added to the paste. It’s good if the toothpaste contains fluoride.
Reference! For cleaning, the most ordinary brush is suitable.
Prepare the most common solution. Mix together two teaspoons of soda and 100 ml of water at room temperature.
Important! Do not extinguish the powder with hot water.
Take a toothbrush and dip it into the resulting solution. Brush your teeth in the usual way.
There is another effective and good way. Peroxide has powerful oxidizing properties..
During interaction with organic substances, it begins to emit carbon dioxide and water. Gas molecules help brighten enamel. Hydrogen peroxide is used only with soda..
To prepare the solution, prepare three percent peroxide and baking soda. The ingredients are mixed until smooth. You need to brush your teeth for no more than three minutes, and then be sure to rinse with water.
How to reduce the likelihood of damage to the enamel?
To reduce the harmful effects of soda, you must stick to some rules:
- To brush your teeth no more than once a week.
- Take calcium and vitamin complexes to strengthen your teeth.
- Use toothpastes with minerals.
- Use a brush with soft bristles.
- Brush your teeth gently and slowly. Do not put pressure on your teeth, and do not try to speed up the whitening.
- After the procedure, refrain from hot and cold food.
- Eat the main source of calcium. These are nuts, apples, greens, dairy products.
- If you feel pain or other unpleasant sensations, then it is better to refrain from the procedure or replace with more gentle methods.
Below are some reviews. If you have something to say, leave your review in the comments under the article, it will be useful to our readers.
Sergey, 45 years old, Samara. At some point, plaque, and later tooth decay, began to bother me. I went to the clinic, the doctor suggested expensive paste and ultrasonic cleaning. I decided to try baking soda. The effect did not appear immediately, but after 5 applications, the coating began to gradually disappear, the bad breath disappeared.
Tatyana, 27 years old, Emanzhelinsk. I am a lover of strong coffee, so I have been drinking it all my life. She noticed that my teeth became darker, and began to look for means for whitening teeth. On the form came across an article that talked about brushing teeth with soda. I decided to try it. I cleaned once a week so as not to damage the enamel. The result pleased.
From this video you will learn how to use soda and hydrogen peroxide for teeth whitening:
From the foregoing, we can conclude that any dental procedures must be carried out by professional means or under the supervision of a doctor. Self-whitening enamel is very dangerous. In order not to harm even more, it is necessary to consult a doctor and follow clearly all the instructions.