Bicycle foot brake - a device that provides smooth braking of the driving rear wheel. Other names - foot brake, drum brake. The location of the assembly in the bicycle structure is the rear axle. It is used as the main brake mechanism or is supplemented by a manual front brake. Scope - old bicycles of the USSR period, children's bicycles, singlespeeds, modern city bicycles with a fixed speed, with one gear or with a planetary type gear selector. The device is not compatible with the classic mechanical transmission system.
Operating principle . For braking, the pedals rotate in the opposite direction, opposite to the working rotation. The drive functions are carried out by a chain drive. The rear wheel hub or fragment thereof is a drum. When braking, the internal brake pads take the position of the spacer and clamp of the brake drum.
Technical features . The rear foot brake system on freewheeling bicycles allows you to perform complex freestyle tricks due to the ability to roll back without forcing bicycle pedals.
- 1 Frequent repair of the foot brake of the bike and scrupulous care are not required.
- 2 Due to the tightness of the structure, protection against dust, dirt, rain is guaranteed.
- 3 When using this type of brake, the rim does not overheat.
- 4 The device has a low cost.
- 5 The mechanism allows you to ride a bicycle having a curved wheel geometry (figure eight).
- 1 Lack of emergency braking in case of chain breakdown or foot slipping off the pedal.
- 2 The need for some addiction for the effective use of the foot brake.
- 3 Lack of compatibility with an external speed switch.
- 4 Additional load on the hub and spokes during braking.
- 5 Low braking power.
- 6 Difficult maneuvering when alternating braking and accelerating movement.
- 7 The possibility of overheating during long descents from the mountains.
When is a bicycle foot brake needed for repair or maintenance?
The drum brake is durable and durable. However, the assembly needs to be checked, debugged, or replaced periodically. To check the operation of the device, you need to scroll in the opposite direction of the bicycle pedals. With a working mechanism, the brake is applied after the reverse pedal has made a quarter of a wheel revolution. If the brake is applied later, the device does not work correctly. Since the foot brake mechanism is completely located in the inner cavity of the rear hub, self-service is not recommended. Disassembly should be entrusted to a qualified bicycle master.
Periodically it is necessary to check the brake control lever. Structurally, this is a flat steel handle (on Bendix brakes). The lever is connected to the rear axle and secured to the laths. When checking, make sure that the mount is locked. Lack of fixation can lead to the fact that the control lever begins to rotate together with the axis. If a lever is disconnected, it must be locked in the direction of the nose of the bicycle.
If you require the installation, maintenance, adjustment or replacement of the foot brake, please contact us. The employees of the bicycle workshop will provide you with the necessary professional assistance. To contact us, leave a request on the website or call +7 (495) 123-22-23 in Moscow or +7 (812) 309-87-07 in St. Petersburg.