Klamas are bivalves living in silt or sand. More importantly, they are one of the most delicious types of seafood that can be eaten raw or added to pasta. Shellfish can be eaten raw, steamed, boiled, baked or fried. When you are going to eat your clams, you will need to pull them out first. If you want to learn how to clean clams easily and safely, start with Step 1 below.
Seashell collection rules
In order for a shell brought from the sea to please and serve as a pleasant memory of rest, you should know a few rules:
- Do not collect souvenirs in contaminated areas.
- Do not collect shells with living things inside.
- Kauri shells are almost impossible to save for a long period, so it is better not to collect them.
On the beach you can find a large number of empty shells, from which you will no longer need to extract mollusks. Protect the flora and fauna of our Earth, do not destroy living organisms.
How to cleanse clam and smell
For example, lamellar-gill must first be opened with a knife, cutting muscle fibers from both sides. Once the sink is opened, you should get rid of the clam, and then wash it with detergents. Next, rinse the shell thoroughly, then close it and tie it with a thread for further drying.
It is most difficult to clean the shell of snails or raps in a single-leaf twisted carapace. You can use two methods - freezing and boiling:
- The first way. Leave the sink in the freezer for 12 hours, then dry it in the sun. The clam can be easily pulled out with tweezers.
- The second way. The shell should be boiled for 2-3 minutes, then dried in the sun and the clam removed using tweezers.
Warning! The shells should be allowed to cool and only then removed, otherwise you can get a burn. In addition, sudden changes in temperature can cause cracks.
The second method is suitable only for large and strong shells, as a thin shell can fall apart or darken from boiling.
How to clean limescale
When the clam is successfully removed, you can proceed to the next step - cleaning the shell. First, rinse it thoroughly under running water with a soft bristled toothbrush.
There are several methods that allow you to quickly remove lime, green plaque and stubborn dirt:
- Place the souvenir in a solution of vinegar for 2-3 hours, then wash off the dirt with a soft brush. No need to exert effort when cleaning, the shell may fall apart or crack. To prepare the vinegar solution, you need to mix water and acid in equal proportions.
- Apply soap, lime and green plaque to the shell. Good fit: Cillit Bang, SANO, Mr. Muscle.
- If the shell has small calcareous deposits, they can be removed by rubbing the surface with a slice of lemon or lime.
- Soak the souvenir in bleach for 2-3 hours. Remove any remaining dirt with a toothbrush.
- Apply a whitening toothpaste to the surface of the shell and get rid of the dirt by rubbing the necessary areas.
It is interesting! In tropical countries, they do not resort to such tricks. Shells are left in the sun, the mollusk itself creeps out of the shell, after which it is pulled out with tweezers and released into the wild. The case itself is left to dry for another 1-2 days. With this method of processing, there is no unpleasant odor.
If plaque remains on the product, do not try to scrape it off. Together with a piece of lime, part of the shell may fall off. It is better to leave the shell as it is, so as not to damage.
What should I do if the shell still smells bad after cleaning?
The reason is that you didn’t completely pull the clam out of the sink, it rotted and started to produce an unpleasant odor. Re-freeze or cook the shell is not worth it, it can damage it. It is better to use the third method - instillation.
To do this, you need:
- Dig a hole between 40 and 50 cm deep.
- Put a shell inside the pit and sprinkle it with earth, lightly tamp.
- After 1-2 months, dig out the product and rinse under running water.
During their stay in the ground, the larvae, beetles and flies that live in the soil will completely eat the mollusk. After that, the sink will no longer emit unpleasant odors. To clean from greens and earth, it is best to use light bleaching agents.
Advice! To strengthen the surface of the shell, apply varnish or transparent paint in 2-3 layers. Allow the previous layer to dry completely and only then apply the next layer.
Despite the fact that this is one of the longest ways to clean shells, it is also the safest. A shell in the ground will not be damaged in any way.
How to shine
To return it, you can use several methods:
- Apply a lot of baby oil to the sink. Leave it on for 3-5 days, and then polish the surface with paper towels.
- Degrease the shell with a cotton pad moistened with alcohol. After complete drying, the sink should be covered with clear nail polish.
- Degrease the surface of the souvenir with alcohol, then apply transparent paint to it. For complete drying, leave the product for 1-2 hours in the sun.
In order to qualitatively paint a shell, you must first apply varnish on one side of it, and after complete drying - on the second. In this case, the surface of the shell will be perfectly smooth and glossy.
If you collect shells in which there are no more mollusks, there will be no need to boil them or freeze them. It will be enough to wash with water and liquid soap.
How to clean a frozen product?
When starting to process a frozen component, you need to start with its proper defrosting. To do this, iron out the products in a bag, place in a container with cold water and be sure to crush the mussels with a load so that the sinks do not open ahead of time. The load should not be very heavy, otherwise the shells can crack and eat such meat will be dangerous.
The cleaning process itself is as follows:
- For processing, we select only tightly closed sinks, it is better to throw open products immediately. We lay out a high-quality product in a pan, fill it with water, add a few tablespoons of cornmeal and keep it in this form for an hour. Manipulation will allow you to get rid of sand, which may be contained in shells.
- If the products have antennae, remove them with pliers, pulling them to the base of the sink. Next, clean the shells of mussels, armed with a stiff brush.
- Once again, we wash the products and immediately proceed to cooking. Peeled mussels should not idle for more than a few minutes.
A classic option is to immerse products in hot water and boil them for 8-10 minutes, until the shells are fully opened. You can add a little white wine to the broth, then the meat will be especially tender and aromatic. Only fully opened sinks are served to the table, the rest are thrown away.
Rules and features for cleaning fresh mussels
Fresh product must be prepared on the day of purchase. If the sinks must be preserved in their original form for several hours, then put them in a bowl, cover with a damp cloth and put in the refrigerator.
To clean mussels at home you need the following scheme:
- First we select a quality product. Its wings should be closed, on the shell there can be no chips, cracks or damage.
Tip: Sometimes there are mussels whose sashes are slightly open. In this case, you need to forcefully press them; if they slam, the mussel is alive and you can cook it.
- We lay out the selected products in a container with cold water, this will eliminate sand.
- Half an hour after soaking, we begin to clean the sinks one at a time under running water with a brush. Treated specimens are placed in clean water.
After such a treatment, boil the mussels according to the classic recipe or prepare them in accordance with other instructions.
How to handle the finished dish?
The extraction of meat from the finished product is a real art and in the absence of appropriate skills, the process of eating a delicacy can turn into torture. If the menu includes a dish of mussels, then the table should be served with special devices consisting of tweezers and an oyster fork.
We take the tweezers in our left hand, hold them in the sink, which remains in the plate, and with the help of the fork, carefully remove the meat. It is poured with sauce and eaten. Used sinks are stacked on a separate plate. The whole procedure is quite troublesome, but after some time it even starts to give aesthetic pleasure. The main thing is to act carefully so as not to splatter the juice of others.
Processing mussels before cooking is the key to high-quality cleaning of the product, because it is not very pleasant to feel not juicy meat on your teeth, but grains of sand. It is highly not recommended to pre-marinate the product, it will lose its traditional softness and turn into a fragrant, but tasteless snack.