The corrector needs a deep knowledge of the Russian language, keen attention, the ability to work with numerous reference books and dictionaries. A proofreader is not just a literate person, he must be an expert in the complex rules of the language and linguistic subtleties. A well-proven corrector can count on continued cooperation with serious customers. In fact, wherever a serious text is published, corrector services are needed. Proofreading is a complex and responsible work, and the requirements for professionalism in this area are quite large.
The essence of the corrector profession:
The corrector checks the text for errors, for compliance with design standards (the format for recording dates and numbers, “correct” dashes and quotation marks, etc.). Not a single print publication (newspaper, magazine, brochure, book) can do without proof-reading. Often proofreaders are invited by developers of quality websites. Businessmen can apply for proofreading of business documentation or correspondence.
The corrector corrects only violations of the rules of the language (“right / wrong”) and does not apply to stylistic errors (“worse / better”). Editing a style is the work of a literary editor, although often both functions are undertaken by one specialist.
- print media
- book publishers
- advertising agencies and web content studios.
- literacy, deep knowledge of the language, linguistic flair,
- attentiveness, the ability not to miss a single comma,
- knowledge of the principles of typography (graphic design of text when printing),
- possession of proofreading signs and text editing techniques,
- possession of special reference books and dictionaries.
Desired skills and knowledge:
- familiarity with the scheme of the publishing process and the work of the media,
- knowledge of error search programs (SpellCheckers),
- knowledge of special publishing programs.
A full-time corrector in a publisher or editorial office can count on $ 600-1000 per month. Freelance proofreaders charge $ 1 per 1000 characters for their services.
Where to look for a job corrector?
Useful materials on the topic:
Who are proofreaders and why do customers need them?
Every website owner wants his projects to have only high-quality and competent articles. On the other side there are webwriters whose goal is to write as many characters as possible, and, therefore, get a good payment. The connecting link between them is the text correctors, for a fee, correcting errors in the text and turning it into an easily readable article.
Why would anyone pay money if a webwriter can fix his own material? There are several answers at once:
- Not everyone knows the rules of the language so well that they can catch all the errors in the text. Moreover, when you check your text, your eyes “become blurred” and you begin to miss even the most obvious mistakes. An experienced editor will check your article much more carefully.
- Often a copywriter spends much more time on proofreading text than on writing it. In this case, it is cheaper to delegate this work, and to focus on creating new materials yourself.
- There are many mistakes that you yourself cannot find, but they will ruin the customer’s impression of your article. For example, no modern textual program can calculate stylistic inaccuracies.
- The corrector allows content agencies to work with a bunch of new copywriters without worrying about possible errors in their texts.
- It is sometimes cheaper for the website owner to find a normal corrector and cheap webwriters than to order expensive texts.
Who can be a proofreader?
In contrast to copywriting, earnings by the editor of articles and texts are not suitable for everyone. For this, it is necessary to have not only a certain amount of knowledge in philology, but also a character warehouse suitable for this activity. It is easier for some to write three or four thousand characters carelessly than to scrupulously look for flaws in someone else's text of a similar volume.
Higher specialized education to work as a proofreader, although desirable, but not necessary. There are self-taught who can give odds even to venerable philologists. However, this is the exception rather than the rule, and a significant part of the professionals are still people with higher philological education.
If you do not have specialized knowledge, but really want to do this work, we recommend that you first try yourself as a copywriter, perfecting your own texts. Many freelancers come to earn money as proofreading texts at home through copywriting. After all, the ability to find mistakes and “preen” articles comes only with experience. Beginning proofreaders usually put a lower price than their competitors' price tag on their work, preferring to continue their self-education in the work process.
The main directions of work
If you are determined to become a proofreader, then several directions of work open up before you, between which you can choose. The more different tasks you complete, the faster your professionalism and speed will grow. Although the difference between the types of editing is very blurry, four main groups can be distinguished.
Thousands of articles are published daily on corporate blogs, social accounts of various companies and just entertainment portals. Almost all of them need proofreading and troubleshooting. This is exactly what the so-called web proofreaders do. The work on texts for online publications includes the correction of both spelling with punctuation and stylistic errors. Work as a corrector of texts at home will allow you to plan your working time yourself by handing over finished, verified articles remotely via the Internet.
The work is the same as in the previous case, only the texts are not intended for publication on the Internet, but in various print media: newspapers, magazines, brochures. In addition to the above errors, you will need to follow the correct breakdown of the text into semantic blocks, since the requirements for printed materials are usually much higher.
In addition to proofreading the text for errors, it will also be necessary to check several specific parameters of the received text and, if necessary, correct them.
These options are:
- Water content of the text. This parameter shows the percentage in the text of words that do not carry a semantic load. For different materials, this indicator has its own framework, so the requirements for the advertising text will be completely different than for scientific work.
- Nausea This criterion is understood as the frequency of use of individual words, expressed as a percentage of the rest of the text. Materials that have high rates of nausea tend to experience search engine filters. And just reading a text in which the same word is repeated a thousand times 10 times is at least unpleasant.
- Uniqueness. Articles on Internet resources should be unique, previously unpublished and not similar to others. If the text has a low uniqueness (this may be due to the use of a large number of clichés), then it may not be indexed by search engines and, therefore, not appear in the search. To prevent this, you need to use special programs to find non-unique parts and rewrite them differently.
- The correct entry of keywords. The effectiveness of attracting search traffic depends on this parameter, so key phrases must be entered in accordance with certain rules.
After choosing this niche, please note that the processing of style errors and speech turnovers is added to word processing. You should be confident to use both specialized software and online spell checking services. Corrections made by the editor in literary texts can affect not only individual words and sentences, but also entire paragraphs and chapters. The requirements for your education and competency will also be high.
Qualities of a successful corrector
To succeed in this profession, you need to cultivate some useful qualities.
- Mindfulness. After a few scanned texts, your attention may become dull. In no case should this be allowed, because your work consists precisely in a meticulous search for what others have missed.
- Tolerance. Sometimes in the text there may be the most ridiculous mistakes that the author missed during an independent check. No need to let emotions take over.
- Non-conflict. Even if a terrible text was sent to you, in no case do not express your complaints to the customer - he will already see the number of corrections in the text. If the work on the material takes too much time, then simply increase the price for your work.
- Perseverance. If you feel that the text is not perfect, then you need to re-read it again and again, correcting the shortcomings found. The price of your mistake is very high, so you need to be extremely serious about your work. Sometimes it’s hard to force yourself to check the same material 5-10 times, but it is necessary.
- Punctuality. This is the main positive feature of any freelancer. Try not to disrupt the deadlines, no matter what it costs you. There is a rule: promised tomorrow, made today.
Pros and cons of working as a corrector
The work to correct other people's texts has practically no shortcomings, provided that you have the appropriate education and character qualities, which were mentioned above. There are plenty of pluses, starting from a free schedule and the lack of the need to invent new texts, ending with prestige and career opportunities. Indeed, many editors who perform remote work with text are then placed in large news agencies.
How much does the corrector earn?
For text corrector services, the cost can be different: from ten to fifty rubles per thousand characters. Most often it depends on many factors:
- Work experience.
- And so on.
The sooner you begin to master this profession, the faster you will be able to reach normal earnings. Keep in mind that your reputation is not just one of the criteria for the customer, but perhaps your pass to a good position in a prestigious company.
Where to look for customers?
For those who have chosen the profession of text corrector at home, finding jobs is not so difficult as many people think. Here are the most accessible places where you can take tasks:
- Copywriting Exchanges. Advego, TextSale, Etxt and similar. Although the prices for the work of the corrector are even lower than with direct orders, but there is always a lot of work. Yes, and beginners should fulfill their first orders on exchanges, since there is no chance to be cheated and stay without payment.
- Webmaster Forums. They can give you so much work that you just do not have time to deal with it. This is the place where you can find both one-time orders for a certain volume, and constant contacts with the owners of large portals.
- Specialized sites. On many sites with reviews and paid comments, you can offer your candidacy for the post of corrector. Although tedious work, it will allow you to have additional income.
- Creative option. If you see materials in a large portal with a large audience that contain an abundance of errors, you can make corrections of several articles for free and send them to the owner as a demonstration of your capabilities. Often, in response to such a gesture of goodwill, they will offer you a job.
How to get paid for the work as a corrector?
The standard for freelancers is payment through the Webmoney electronic money system, with which you can subsequently transfer money to a bank card, or pay for other services. There are alternative payment methods: Qiwi Wallet, Yandex.Money and instant bank transfers (Instant, Contact). The question of choosing a payment method is best decided with the customer in advance, before agreeing to work.
We examined one of the most prestigious online professions related to work and earning on content. Part-time proofreader texts at home allows you to get money for their philological knowledge, even people without education. Working remotely, while increasing their skills every day, is a dream for many, which, as it turned out, is quite simple to implement.
Often you can hear the question: is the corrector a profession or a specialty? Rather, a profession, since universities do not teach precisely on proofreaders. But education is still needed. Here is a list of standard requirements for a good corrector:
- Higher linguistic or philological education.
- Perfect knowledge of the Russian language.
- Knowledge of the signs that are used in proofreading.
- Knowledge of the printing house and its principles.
- Perseverance and attentiveness.
For publications that specialize in a particular area, experience in adjusting industry texts is often required. These can be legal, economic texts. In such cases, employers often prefer proofreaders with an education in the industry, rather than just linguists or philologists.
By the way, often education is not enough, because you still need an innate talent.
Sometimes at least an initial knowledge of a foreign language is required, as well as knowledge of computer programs, since texts are not always adjusted in all the well-known Word.
Working with a large number of directories and dictionaries is also one of the requirements. Indeed, corrector is a specific profession. You need to be not just a competent person, but an expert.
Among the desired knowledge and skills, the following should be noted:
- Possession of software for finding errors.
- Ownership of publishing programs.
- Knowledge of the publishing process and the work of the media.
When hiring, they pay attention not only to the diploma, but also to the completion of the test task, in which they propose to edit the texts. For this reason, random people will not be able to get into the profession.
Text editing is not an activity that can provide candidates with high earnings and career growth. Working in the publishing house, you can rise to the senior corrector. This will end growth. Salaries are not very high, but you can get good pay if you read and edit at least a hundred pages of text per day. This is a very big load. In some cases, it happens that the corrector becomes the editor of the department, but this will require tremendous efforts. Managers from proofreaders, as a rule, are good, as they are attentive, assiduous. All the efforts of correctors remain in the shadows, as the author receives fame and money. Well, if there is a very gross error in the text, then the corrector will wait for the punishment.
Corrector remuneration is low. It ranges from 18 to 45 thousand rubles. The average salary is the amount of 21 thousand rubles. That is why many representatives of this profession work simultaneously in several publishing houses. This is entirely possible, since the production cycles of all publishers are different. Corrector at home is another area of this profession in which you can get good additional income in your free time.
Advantages and disadvantages
Corrector work has both positive and negative sides. The benefits include:
- The work is suitable for those who do not like to lead an active lifestyle and choose sedentary work.
- It is possible to work remotely.
The disadvantages include:
- Monotonous and routine work.
- The prospects for climbing the career ladder are foggy.
- High liability at low wages.
The main places of work are print and online publications. But you can also get a job in a printing company or in the one where there is a service responsible for public relations.
Some publishers, trying to save money, give correction of texts to journalists or copywriters. But practice shows that verification by a professional corrector is still required, since the authors are not without mistakes, and the publication is losing credibility.