Concealer perfectly hides dark circles under the eyes. But the effect may disappear if the product is collected in the folds of the skin. We tell you how to avoid it.
reading will take 3 minutes
Text: Veronika Gnezdilova
Updated March 22, 2019
- How to prepare the skin?
- How to apply concealer?
Most often, if such a problem arises, they do not look for the culprit for a long time - they call the concealer poor-quality and close the case. Few people realize that in fact the reason often lies in the wrong application. In this material, we will explain how to prepare the skin before you start working with the concealer, and how to properly distribute it.
Can afford: Kim Kardashian style cargo pants
Concealer is especially relevant in this cold season, when we get tired and try to look more cheerful. There is no trace of summer tanning, stresses are constantly overcoming us, so the area around the eyes takes noticeable damage. Do not neglect both the withdrawal and the disguise of this zone - the battle for beauty is always difficult, but it can be won. So, let's find out what mistakes you make when applying concealer.
1. You do not moisturize the skin around the eyes
A mandatory step is to apply a good cream for the skin around the eyes. And not only in the morning, but also in the evening - care should be regular. But many girls neglect this stage or use only a daily face cream, despite the fact that thin skin in this area requires special attention and care. In addition, if you first moisturize the skin under the eyes, then the concealer will lie down more smoothly and efficiently. Another way to smooth the skin texture and avoid the unpleasant properties of some concealers to fold in folds is to use a makeup base.
2. You apply the concealer first
In the beginning - the main skin-leveling product, makeup, and then concealer. Most makeup artists recommend applying it in the last turn. Firstly, you will save this area from crumbling shadows and other “precipitation” of products during makeup. Secondly, this way the concealer will more successfully “highlight” the area under the eyes and hide all traces of fatigue.
3. Do you use concealer as a concealer
The foundation will not sufficiently cope with such a complex area as the area around the eyes. Still, his main task is to even out the tone of the face. Moreover, makeup artists do not recommend applying a tone under the eyes, since it is not suitable for sensitive skin. Blending face makeup down to the area under the eyes seems like a natural step, but it’s not quite right. In fact, a concealer will be quite enough. The foundation will not hurt, but it will not help either - it will simply add an extra layer to your makeup.
10 summer beauty failures and simple ways to prevent them
4. You bake
The fashionable term “baking” or “baking” refers to the process of applying powder with a damp sponge over an already applied make-up. After 5-10 minutes, the remaining powder is removed with a fluffy brush - the perfect makeup for important events is ready. But do not get involved in this technique - it dehydrates the skin under the eyes, which, as a result, will age faster.
5. You choose the wrong shade for concealer
In general, there are two rules: choose a concealer tone on tone or a tone lighter than your skin. The first option is perfect for giving the necessary shade that will help you look as fresh and rested as possible: peach, orange, pink (if the area under the eyes is olive) or yellow (if the area under the eyes is closer to blue and purple). The second option is suitable for those who consider their bruises and bags too noticeable and want a more pronounced masking and “highlighting” effect. Be careful, do not choose too light or dark shade of the concealer, if you do not want to be a panda or raccoon.
6. Do you use too dry concealer
All concealers are different: when you find the very ideal product that covers everything and even more, there is a chance that it will clog in the folds and dry your skin. Therefore, pay attention to the word “creamy” or “shining” when choosing a masking agent - it will not only give a good coating, but also will not look too dry. Also be careful with proofreaders - they have a much denser texture and are designed to mask complex and problem areas of the skin.
7. You apply the concealer only under the eyes
Do you want to hide, not emphasize the flaws? One of the main rules for applying concealer is the triangle rule. Proceed in several stages: first draw a triangle and apply a coating to the entire area of the lower eyelid, shading down and sketching a triangle. Or simply move from the inner corners of the eyes to the temples through the apples of the cheeks, drawing the same triangle. Do not forget to blend the concealer with a damp sponge, brush or fingers - as you like.
HOW TO PREPARE SKIN?
Mistakes are usually made at the stage of skin care.
- The first is insufficient moisture. When the skin is dry, folds on it are more pronounced. To make them less noticeable, you need to provide the skin with moisture. And here it is important to choose the right tool.
- If you do not have a special cream for the skin around the eyes and you care for this area with the usual daily face cream, it will most likely lie on this area with too thick a layer. Few wait for the complete absorption of the product before proceeding with the application of the concealer. This leads to the problem. It's all about layering textures - one as if slides off the other without the necessary “adhesion” to the skin.
- Before applying the concealer, use a light cream gel designed specifically for the area around the eyes, or a serum that is quickly absorbed.
What is concealer
The first concealer appeared in 1954, its creator was the well-known Max Factor. The tool is designed to mask flaws and skin defects. It well hides the "bruises" around the eyes, small wrinkles, age spots, acne and other imperfections. In addition, with its help, you can adjust the oval and proportions of the face, to bring the shape closer to perfect.
HOW TO CORRECTLY APPLY CONCILER?
To avoid the troubles described above with the concealer, sophisticated beauty users mix it with a small amount of moisturizer designed specifically for the area around the eyes. In this case, the preparatory phase can be omitted.
If you go the traditional way, that is, moisturize the skin with a cream (for the area around the eyes), then you need to learn the correct technique for applying concealer.
- The tool is collected on the fingertips in a very small amount and distributed over the skin with light “driving” movements.
- Another option: apply the concealer with a sponge with the same patting movements - using the stippling technique. In this case, you need to move in the direction from the ciliary contour down to the wings of the nose.
- It is known that makeup artists do not draw a “crescent” under their eyes. They apply concealer in a triangle. This facilitates subsequent shading.
Watch a video tutorial by beauty blogger Olya Red Autumn.
- Do not forget that not only the dark circles under the eyes give the tired look to the face, but also the blue at the inner corners of the eyes. A concealer is also needed in this area.
Types of funds
For different types of makeup use different types of concealers. Concealer happens:
- liquid - suitable for any type of skin, well masks redness, age spots, light texture, can be applied and shaded without any problems,
- cream concealer - for normal skin, moisturizes, perfectly hides small irregularities, ideal for the area around the eyes,
- pencil - convenient for spot application, highlighting the contour of the lips, eyebrows,
- dry - an option for oily skin, based on powder, excellent masking of acne, blackheads, removes unnecessary shine,
- stick - for sensitive and normal skin, hide acne, small scars.
There is a misconception that concealer and corrector are one and the same. The funds have a general purpose, they are very similar in appearance, but still have some differences. For example, concealer has a lighter texture, has a moisturizing effect. Besides, components are added to its composition, such as:
- vitamins - thanks to this, you can not only even out the color, but also enrich the dermis with useful trace elements, improve its condition,
- antioxidants, antiseptics - remove excess pigmentation, treat acne,
- reflective particles - give the skin a radiance and hide wrinkles and imperfections of the skin.
How to make a choice
On the shelves of cosmetic stores presented a huge selection of this product of various types. It is easy to get confused and confused. Figure out which concealer is the best, tips will help:
- If you need to mask pimples, then stopping the choice is better on green. The presence of “drying” ingredients, such as salicylic acid, is encouraged.
- The nets of blood vessels, as well as redness, are well hidden by the agent with a yellow undertone.
- From circles under the eyes, it is recommended to take a creamy texture with reflective elements.
- Freckles and age spots require the use of more dense - in the stick.
- The tool should be whiter than the skin and foundation for 1-2 tones.
- It is necessary to pay attention to the label, composition. It is good if the product is enriched with vitamins and has a lifting effect.
The area around the eyes and lips
The skin in this area is very delicate and thin. Vascular branches, age spots and small wrinkles create the effect of “tired” eyes. Therefore, most often the tool is used to solve this particular problem. It is important to consider some points:
- before applying it is necessary to use an eye cream that will serve as a base, then the foundation will not clog into small wrinkles and lie evenly,
- so that the product lasts longer, you can powder the skin before applying it,
- for the area around the eyes you need to use a concealer with a light cream texture.
After cleansing and moisturizing the skin, the concealer is applied with dots to the inner corner of the eye, then to the middle of the eyelid and to the outer corner. After that, it is carefully shaded towards the temples.
Feathering is best done with a brush. If it is done with fingers, then hands must first be warmed up so that it does not roll up from lumps in cold temperature.
Tips for choosing your concealer from the circles under the eyes:
- the concealer under the eyes will help to remove the “blue” under the eyes,
- if the circles around the eyes have a greenish tint, then a concealer of pink undertones should be used.
A concealer can be useful in eyebrow makeup: use a brush to apply the product with a line under the eyebrow and make a feather, so the eyebrow will look more expressive.
To make the lips seem more puffy, the product is applied to the middle of the lips and shaded. Then you need to use a transparent lip gloss.
To keep the lipstick longer, and its pigment looked brighter on the lips, before applying it, you can cover the lips with a concealer.
First you need to cleanse the skin, then moisturize by applying cream. At the initial stage of makeup, it is recommended to apply a special base that will facilitate the use of tonal products, smooth the skin.
After this, a tonal base is applied, it is necessary to carefully and evenly distribute it with a brush or sponge. Next using concealer The area around the eyes is adjusted:
- first, under the eyes, you can distribute the shape of an inverted triangle, the lower corner of which should be on the cheek, carefully make shading to the eyelash growth line,
- then to the upper eyelid, not forgetting about the inner corner of the eye so that the effect of “fatigue” does not occur.
Then local problems are masked - acne, redness, acne and others.
It is very important to carefully blend the product so that the makeup looks natural. In the end, after the manipulations done, use the powder, so the makeup will last all day.
In the presence of a dark and light concealer You can resort to the technique of sculpting:
- dark is superimposed on the dimming zones - lines along the hair growth, the bottom of the cheekbones and chin, the wings of the nose,
- light - on the bleaching zones - the upper part of the cheekbones, under the eyebrow, the center of the chin, nose, forehead, corners of the mouth, the cavity above the lip.
By shading, modeling and image correction are achieved.
Concealer will help to correct many shortcomings and imperfections. But you need to work with him correctly, otherwise you can hurt and ruin everything. To prevent this from happening, you need to consider common mistakes:
- Wrong choice of subtone. It is important to correctly assess your shortcomings, guided by this when buying a product.
- Application of concealer under the tonal base - products with reflective particles should be on top of it, with the exception of green pigment, which is applied under the foundation.
- Poor shading emphasizes the flaws, so you need to pay special attention to this process.
- Application instead of foundation - concealer has a denser texture, so makeup will be unaesthetic.
- Too much means, application in several layers will only emphasize the shortcomings, create the feeling of a foreign spot.
Given all the intricacies of the application, knowing which concealer is best to choose, you can achieve an excellent result and get closer to the ideals of beauty. Then the reflection in the mirror will always please, and no acne and spots will not spoil the mood.