A sharp pain in the leg at night with the inability to even move a limb is a clear sign of a gouty attack. In the place of the greatest salt deposition, severe inflammation is observed. Acute periods of the disease, unfortunately, are inevitable and periodically recur. Unpleasant sensations do not need to be endured, there are several effective methods of treatment. Consider all possible ways to relieve an attack of gout on the leg and prevent its repeated exacerbation.
The mechanism of development and causes of gouty attack
Gout is a chronic metabolic disease with the deposition of uric acid salts in the tissues. It has a systemic progressive character with constant recurrence. First of all, the joints suffer due to the accumulation of urate cavities in the cavities. Another blow falls on the kidneys, which can not cope with the removal of large volumes of acid. Clinically manifested by symptoms of acute arthritis and nephropathy.
Pathology belongs to the category of metabolic disorders:
- purine metabolism is disturbed,
- an excess of purines leads to their accumulation in the body in the form of crystals,
- they are deposited in the articular cavities and kidneys,
- subcutaneous nodes (tofus) are formed,
- renal dysfunction develops.
Adverse factors contribute to this process:
- excess weight,
- abuse of red meat and alcohol,
- various injuries
- autoimmune and endocrine diseases,
- genetic predisposition.
Directly an attack of gout occurs abruptly. The causes of exacerbation are:
- hearty dinner with fatty foods and alcohol,
- change of weather conditions
- high physical activity
- long wearing uncomfortable shoes, high-heeled shoes.
What if a gout attack occurs? It is important to urgently stop it so that the disease does not cause complications. Frequent untreated relapses as a result lead to renal failure, deforming arthrosis, immobilization of the joint.
Symptoms of exacerbation
A gouty attack usually begins at night. It is impossible not to notice the attack due to a sudden intense pain in the leg. Unpleasant sensations do not let you fall asleep, your health worsens.
Due to the sudden intense pain, it is impossible not to notice the attack
Symptoms are similar to acute arthritic inflammation:
- sharp shooting, cutting, aching pain in the affected joint,
- redness and swelling in the thumb,
- local temperature increase
- poor mobility of the articular joint,
- swelling and pain on palpation of the subcutaneous node (tofus).
Severe inflammation can cause an increase in body temperature and a deterioration in general condition. The patient is not able to move his leg, not to mention walking. In the morning, the symptoms may subside a little, and by the evening increase again. An attack lasts on average from a few days to a week, then remission sets in for months or even years. But this does not mean that the disease has passed. Relapses will increase as they progress, especially if you do not provide emergency care in an acute attack of gout.
First aid for gout
Each gout should know how to relieve an attack of gout on the leg at home. The occurrence of pain at night makes it difficult to consult a doctor, therefore, elementary methods of self-help will help alleviate the condition.
How to relieve an attack of gout at home, every gout should know
What you need to do first:
- to provide the foot with complete peace, not to walk and not to do unnecessary gestures,
- put it on an elevation so that the foot is above the hip,
- ice the diseased joint for 20-30 minutes, wrapping several cubes in a clean tissue,
- make a compress with Vishnevsky ointment or Dimexidum for the whole night,
- change the diet for several days, completely remove meat, fish, pickles, smoked meats, canned goods, sausages, fast food, alcoholic and caffeinated drinks in favor of fruits and vegetables,
- drink plenty of fluids (up to 2 liters per day), in the absence of kidney problems - alkaline mineral water (Essentuki, Borjomi), in case of kidney failure - plain water, herbal decoctions, any juices (except tomato).
The listed measures do not instantly relieve pain and inflammation, but significantly reduce them. At the first opportunity, you need to see a doctor and start complex therapy.
Alopurinol affects the very cause of gout, thereby reducing painful manifestations
Painkillers, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, as well as drugs aimed at treating gouty lesions, will help to remove pain with gout. Their action is aimed at reducing uric acid levels, which helps to eliminate pain. These drugs include the following:
- Allopurinol Promotes inhibition of uric acid synthesis, reduces its amount in the body. This drug is most often used in the treatment of gout, with regular use it reduces the severity of pain.
- Probenecid. It prevents the reverse absorption of uric acid in the kidneys, while it begins to be excreted in the urine. Used only in remission.
- Colchicine. It has a high ability to relieve pain with gout. Used in the acute stage of the disease. Patients suffering from gout should always keep this drug in their medicine cabinet, as it is able to quickly stop an acute gout attack.
- Fullflex. It helps. Relieves an acute attack of gout, but the result of its use is short-term. It also has anti-edematous and anti-inflammatory effects. Used externally and internally.
- Pegloticase. Used for severe gouty joints. Available in the form of a solution for intravenous administration. It is used when all other means do not bring the desired effect.
In the absence of all of the above drugs, it is recommended to eliminate the pain syndrome with gout with painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. These drugs can be bought at the pharmacy at any time; this does not require a doctor’s prescription. It is worth considering that these medicines can only eliminate pain, but they do not treat the pathological process itself. The following drugs belong to the group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs:
- Celecoxib et al.
The average cost of NSAIDs varies between 200-400 rubles.
Analgin - one of the most popular painkillers
Anesthetics include the following:
The average cost of the above drugs varies from 100 to 300 rubles.
Gout attack: treatment with different methods
The first gouty attack requires an immediate visit to a rheumatologist. According to the results of the examination, treatment is prescribed. It is recommended to go through it in a hospital. Exacerbation of an existing disease is successfully stopped at home according to a previously defined pattern.
The standard package of therapeutic measures includes:
- medications for oral administration and external agents,
- folk recipes
- physiotherapeutic procedures.
The treatment regimen is selected individually depending on the severity of the condition. It is important to understand that some drugs used during remission are not suitable, and sometimes contraindicated, in the acute period. Consultation of the attending physician is required.
Depending on the severity of the condition, a treatment regimen is individually selected
To relieve pain, recipes of traditional medicine are often used. Alternative methods are aimed not only at eliminating the pain syndrome, but also at improving the condition of the affected joint. The following methods are most common:
- Iodine lubrication. The affected area must be generously lubricated with iodine 2-3 times a day. Iodine helps not only to reduce pain, but also to relieve swelling and redness.
- Pine nuts shell. The shell must be dried, then pour into a dark glass bottle. After that, completely pour alcohol or vodka. It is necessary to insist for 10 days in a dark place. Tincture is taken daily 1 teaspoon before eating up to 4 times a day. When acute pain occurs, the tincture is used to wipe the affected area, as well as for the preparation of compresses.
- Clay. You can use any clay, but preferably blue. It must be diluted with water to a thick sour cream, then rolled into a sausage and applied to the affected joint. It is recommended to use a patch or medical bandage to firmly fix the clay on the affected joint.
- Birch leaves and buds. Pour 15 grams of birch buds or leaves with two glasses of hot water, then put on medium heat and boil for 20 minutes. Put infused for 50-60 minutes, after wrapping the broth with a warm cloth. Inside, the broth is taken daily at 50 ml after a meal, the number of doses should not exceed 4. The broth can also be used for a compress, which is recommended to be left on the affected joint all night. Compress helps to eliminate pain and improve motor function of the joint.
How to relieve an attack of gout with medication
It is impossible to remove an acute attack without drug therapy. Pharmacy drugs help stop the inflammatory and pain syndrome, normalize metabolic processes in the body.
The following groups of tools are used:
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) - reduce the intensity of the inflammatory process and moderate pain manifestations (Indomethacin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Movalis, Nimid, Celecoxib). Tablets are taken as a single dose or in short courses (2-3 days).
- Anti-gout medications - reduce uric acid levels and improve its excretion. Colchicine is usually used (1-3 tablets per day), as well as Allopurinol, Febuxostat, Milurit, Probenecid on a long-term basis.
- Corticosteroid hormones - stop a strong pain syndrome (Hydrocortisone, Triamcinolone, Prednisolone). They are prescribed according to strict indications in the form of tablets or intraarticular injections.
- External means - reduce discomfort in the affected area. Applications are made with various non-steroidal ointments, anesthetizing and warming gels (Voltaren, Fastum, Vishnevsky liniment, Fullflex).
Proper therapy copes with a gouty attack in 3-4 days. The main thing is to observe the dosage in order to avoid adverse reactions. Self-medication is fraught with deterioration.
Baths can be used to relieve pain, and as a prophylaxis
Often, hot baths are used to eliminate soreness with gout, there are several recipes for their preparation. The action of the baths is aimed not only at eliminating pain, but also at reducing swelling, regular procedures will restore the motor ability of the limbs. The following recipes are most common:
- Foot baths with iodine. Such baths are recommended at bedtime at least 4 times a week, it is advisable to do such procedures daily. It will require baking soda and iodine. Dilute 3 tablespoons of soda in hot water, then add 9 drops of iodine, mix thoroughly. The water temperature should be warm, but not hot, this will help to avoid burns. The duration of the procedure should not exceed 10 minutes. After this, the affected joint should be generously lubricated with iodine and left overnight. In the morning, it is recommended to apply olive oil or petroleum jelly on the affected area.
- Salt baths. They can be used both for the whole body and locally for the limbs. For 2 liters of hot water, 250 grams of salt will be required, with an increase in the volume of water, these proportions must be taken into account. It is allowed to add a few drops of iodine or replace ordinary water with infusion of medicinal herbs. The treatment time is 10-15 minutes. During the procedure, a person should not experience uncomfortable sensations. The course is 10-15 procedures.
How to quickly relieve an attack of gout at home: folk recipes
A good auxiliary function in the acute period is provided by recipes of alternative medicine. Ointments, compresses, baths, decoctions on a natural basis help to cope with painful symptoms and accelerate recovery. What can be done with a gout attack?
Recipes of traditional medicine in the acute period have a good auxiliary function
- Ointment with oil and alcohol. Melt 200 g butter, mix with 200 ml alcohol. Set fire to the mixture and wait until all the alcohol burns out. Store the resulting mass in the refrigerator under the lid. Rub a small amount of ointment twice a day.
- Activated carbon compress. Grind 5-6 tablets of coal into powder, add a few drops of linseed oil, dilute with water to a thick consistency. Put a thin layer on cheesecloth, stick to the inflamed joint, leave overnight.
- Bath of chamomile. Dried chamomile flowers (about 2 tbsp. L.) Pour half a liter of water, add a spoonful of table salt. Boil the mixture over low heat for 10-15 minutes, cool slightly. In a warm solution, hold the foot for 20 minutes before bedtime.
- Onion broth. Wash the onion right in the husk and place in a saucepan. Pour 0.5 liters of water and cook for about half an hour until soft. Strain the broth and take 100 ml three times a day before meals.
Home recipes should not be overestimated. They are not able to cure the disease on their own, an integrated approach is important.
In some cases, the pain with gout is so strong that a person cannot stop it at home.
In this case, you need to contact an ambulance, as medical workers can give an injection of pain medication. An ambulance can also offer an analgesic pill, if the patient currently does not have them. Anesthetic injections are much more effective than medications in the form of tablets, so they can eliminate even pronounced pain syndrome with gout.
With gouty lesions, the patient is very rarely hospitalized. Hospitalization may be required only if the pain syndrome does not stop and there is a likelihood of pain shock. In the case of the likelihood of developing complications dangerous to human health, the ambulance team also hospitalizes the patient.
Physiotherapy is one of the most important medical measures for gout. But procedures with exacerbation have important nuances. Directly during the attack, any manipulations with the leg are completely excluded. As the symptoms subside, and this is about 3-4 days, you can proceed to physiotherapy. It restores joint mobility, improves blood circulation, prevents ankylosis.
When the attack of gout is over, how to relieve pain? High efficiency possess:
- ultrasonic waves
- phonophoresis with Bischofite,
- diadynamic therapy,
- electrophoresis with Novocaine,
- shock wave therapy
- paraffin baths.
All procedures are carried out as prescribed by the doctor under constant medical supervision. Concomitant diseases and individual contraindications are necessarily taken into account.
Rehabilitation after a gouty attack goes well in a sanatorium. Such recovery offers unique therapeutic techniques:
- peloid therapy
- balneotherapy (sodium chloride, radon, glandular baths).
Experts recommend that patients with gout undergo annual sanatorium rehabilitation to prevent relapse and improve health.
The risk of developing gout is exposed to every person, especially men after 45 years and women in menopause.
Elementary preventive measures help to protect yourself from an unpleasant illness as much as possible:
- regular proper nutrition without overeating,
- moderate consumption of fatty meat and fish, the predominance of vegetables and fruits in the diet,
- body weight control (obesity contributes to the development of gout),
- mandatory refusal of alcoholic beverages, restriction of caffeine,
- wearing comfortable, soft shoes made of natural fabrics (women should not abuse heels),
- active life with moderate physical exertion (hiking, fitness, swimming, cycling),
- preventive examinations by a rheumatologist with a tendency to articular pathologies and a hereditary predisposition (at least once a year).
Gout is a chronic systemic disease. Acute seizures occur inevitably. But with the help of modern methods of treatment and a healthy lifestyle, the intensity and frequency of relapses can be reduced. Proper therapy extends the lull period to several years. And timely prevention reduces the risk of developing a dangerous illness and serious complications.
How to relieve an acute attack?
Patients who have long been suffering from a violation of uric acid metabolism know that with the next increase in uncomfortable sensations, you must remove the attack of gout as quickly as possible. Otherwise, the need for hospitalization of a person is not excluded.
Treatment for gout during an exacerbation can be carried out in different ways. There are specialized medications that reduce the severity of pain, folk remedies that are popular among patients who want to minimize the effect of synthetic substances on the body.
Quickly relieve pain with gout will additionally help rest for the affected joint and local exposure to cold. To achieve the maximum therapeutic result, it is recommended to combine both natural and traditional synthetic drugs.
According to modern protocols for the provision of specialized care to patients, exacerbation of gout is treated mainly with the help of medications. Randomized trials prove that taking drugs helps eliminate sharp pain and stabilize the patient.
The non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) remain the basic group of tablets and medical solutions for gout. The mechanism of action is based on the inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX-1 and COX-2). The result is a decrease in the synthesis of pro-inflammatory substances that aggravate the well-being of the patient.
Through the use of injections and pills for gout, pain is quickly eliminated. Additionally, the severity of edema, redness of the affected joint is reduced.
Used drugs from the NSAID group:
- Diclofenac sodium.
Stopping an attack of gout with the help of these drugs is recommended by the European and American Association of Rheumatologists. In 80-85% of cases, the patient's condition improves after the first dose of the drug.
It is important to remember that treatment of gout during an exacerbation is best done using injectable formulations. The reason is better absorption, a faster effect and the absence of mechanical contact with the affected joint.
Gout pain relief is also achieved with colchicine. The drug belongs to alkaloids. The mechanism of action is based on a pronounced decrease in the rate of migration of leukocytes to the focus of inflammation. Due to this effect, an acute attack of gout quickly passes into the stage of regression and remission. Colchicine additionally inhibits phagocyte absorption of microparticles of puric acid, breaking one of the key links in the pathological process.
Treatment of exacerbations of gout allows the use of pain medications. Used narcotic drugs. Indication - severe pain, significantly violating the general condition of the patient. Painkillers for gout on the legs are prescribed with caution. The reason is the risk of addiction. The use of this group of drugs lasts 3-5 days.
Recommended painkillers for gout:
The choice of painkillers for gout is carried out only by a doctor. It is impossible to purchase narcotic analgesics on your own in a pharmacy without a special prescription from a doctor.
In the treatment of an acute attack of gout, there is a place for glucocorticosteroids (GCS). Steroid drugs are used for the ineffectiveness of the groups of medicines described above. The powerful anti-inflammatory property of GCS ensures the rapid achievement of the desired result. Prednisolone and its derivatives well remove pain and other clinical manifestations of impaired purine metabolism.
If indicated, the doctor may additionally prescribe the following medications:
- Benzbromarone to reduce the concentration of uric acid in the blood.
- Losartan for correcting blood pressure.
- Fenofibrate to prevent the progression of atherosclerosis.
- Omeprazole to reduce the acidity of the gastric contents.
The selection of drug therapy is carried out exclusively by a doctor. Otherwise, the disease progresses and gives the patient a lot of discomfort.
When should I see a doctor?
Going to the doctor is a step that almost all patients who have experienced an attack of gout are ready for. However, it is worth noting that it is worth calling a doctor when a pathology occurs for the first time. In this case, the patient is hospitalized for the selection of therapy.
Patients who have suffered from the disease for many years are able to independently deal with exacerbations of gout. However, if the application of traditional methods does not bring the desired improvement, and the person’s condition progressively worsens, you need to see a doctor. In 90% of cases, the patient will need a correction of the therapeutic program.
Exacerbation of gouty arthritis is a problem that needs to be resolved as quickly as possible. Procrastination with the use of drugs leads to an increase in extremely unpleasant sensations. The main thing is to use medicines in adequate doses.
First aid for an acute attack
The accumulation of uric acid salts in the synovial fluid of the joints and cartilage is asymptomatic for a long time. The only sign of the disease in the intercritical period is hyperuricemia - a pathological increase in the concentration of urates in the blood. A gout attack develops suddenly, often at night.
The main triggering factors for exacerbation of gout are usually hypothermia, stress, nutritional errors and alcohol abuse. Gouty attack is characterized by intolerable pain in the affected joint, accompanied by severe swelling and redness of the skin, worsening of overall well-being. In most patients, the metatarsophalangeal joint on the big toe becomes inflamed, other large and small joints of the upper and lower extremities are much less likely to be affected.
Hospitalization for gout of the joints is carried out only in case of prolonged acute pain, kidney damage and other serious complications. To get by without a hospital, you need to stop the symptoms of the attack as soon as possible. At home, first aid for gout includes the following activities:
- Compliance with bed rest. At the time of exacerbation of gout, the inflamed joint should be immobilized. It is recommended that the affected limb be kept at a small elevation in order to ensure the outflow of blood and the reduction of edema. It is necessary to avoid hypothermia, to insulate the feet with woolen socks or tights. In order not to provoke increased pain with gout on the big toe, you should refuse to wear tight, uncomfortable shoes,
- A strict diet that excludes the use of foods high in purine, which during the metabolism breaks down to form a large amount of uric acid. The ban is imposed on red meat, offal, oily fish, legumes, black tea, coffee, beer and other alcoholic beverages. Food with gout should be low-calorie, fractional, easily digestible,
- Drinking enough fluid to normalize metabolism and speed up the elimination of toxins from the body. In the absence of kidney problems, it is allowed to drink up to 2.5-3 liters of purified or slightly alkaline mineral water without gas per day,
- Elimination of pain and inflammation with medical and folk remedies.
With exacerbation of gout of the joints, it is necessary to begin treatment immediately. Ignoring the symptoms of the disease, non-compliance with the diet and drinking regimen lead to an increase in the number and intensity of relapses, the development of complications.
With a gouty attack, most classic analgesics are ineffective. It is impossible to quickly relieve an exacerbation, but to significantly reduce pain and inflammation in the first hours of an attack, you can use the following medications:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for oral use (Nimesulide, Diclofenac, Ortofen, Ibuprofen),
- Colchicine - pills to eliminate pain with gout, the most effective in the first 12 hours of an acute attack,
- Glucocorticosteroids (Prednisone, Cortisone) - hormonal drugs used with insufficient effectiveness of NSAIDs or intense pain,
- Local anesthetics in the form of ointments, gels, solutions (Dimexide, Diclobene, Vishnevsky ointment).
After the acute attack is relieved, patients are prescribed chondroprotectors to improve joint function (Arthra, Chondrolon, Don, Teraflex). With a persistent increase in the concentration of urate in the blood, it is recommended to use medications aimed at suppressing the synthesis of uric acid (Allopurinol, Febuxostat, Peglotikase). A prerequisite for effective treatment is vitamin therapy and calcium supplements.
All medicines should be agreed with your doctor. Uncontrolled use of NSAIDs and colchicine preparations leads to severe disorders of the cardiovascular system, kidneys, liver, and gastrointestinal tract.
Treatment with folk remedies
To relieve pain and swelling with gout, you can use traditional medicine recipes.
- Therapeutic compresses. The most effective products are cabbage leaf, fresh lard or previously thawed fish fillet, chopped garlic, celery root, a mixture of honey and sea salt. It is recommended to apply a compress before bedtime, insulating the joint area with cling film and a woolen scarf. Procedures should be carried out daily for 10-15 days,
- Foot baths. Warm water with sea salt or pine needles is an effective remedy for gout in acute pain. Adding a few drops of iodine to the bath will not only facilitate overall well-being, but also significantly improve the condition of the joint. For the procedure, you can use infusions of medicinal herbs (calendula, chamomile, bay leaf, celandine, saber). About 3 g of plant material should be taken for 3 liters of hot water, insisted for about 20-30 minutes. The duration of the procedure should be 15-20 minutes,
- Ointment from sea salt. It is necessary to mix 500 g of salt and 550-600 ml of water, bring to a boil with constant stirring. Add 200 ml of petroleum jelly or oil to the cooled mass. Rub the ointment thoroughly into the affected areas of the body. The tool is recommended to be used 2-3 times a week, if gout hurts the muscles surrounding the joint.
Decoctions of herbs for oral administration. The following remedies help to effectively get rid of pain and normalize metabolism:
- Two tablespoons of berries and lingonberry leaves pour 1 liter of boiling water, let it brew for at least an hour. Drink half a glass 2-3 times a day between meals,
- Mix the St. John's wort grass, chamomile and linden flowers in equal proportions. Pour four tablespoons of plant material with 1 liter of water, heat over low heat, insist for half an hour. Take two glasses a day,
- Grind celery root until smooth. One spoon of the resulting slurry pour 2 cups boiling water. To use infusion during the day, dividing into several receptions.
Drug and folk therapy for gout should be combined with physiotherapy, exercise therapy and massage. Treatment during an exacerbation is carried out under the supervision of a doctor. Only a specialist can answer the question of how to relieve pain during an attack of gout, given the stage of pathology and the individual characteristics of the patient.