Retro style always enjoyed popularity. However, today such exclusive things in the field of fashion are increasingly becoming known as "vintage." What it is? How to dress in vintage style? The word "vintage" came into use from the vocabulary of winemakers in France, and in translation it means "wine with a certain aging time." Much later, rarities began to be called by this word, things of leading brands that cannot be faked, exclusive.
Everyone knows that fashion is cyclical and periodically returns. With enviable regularity among the new models are things with details characteristic of a more or less distant past. And as in winemaking there are exclusive aged wines, expensive and possessing incomparable aroma and taste, so in the world of fashion the word "vintage" began to mean a style that has stood the test of time.
To vintage in fashion belong things that carry the history of fashion. The designers of our day when creating new fashion collections are inspired by models of the past. And this is not surprising, because the current vintage at the time of its appearance was the "last cry" of fashion. Vintage - this is not just a second-hand, it is clothing saturated with retro motifs, and here the defining feature is the age of the thing. The most rare and expensive things include, for example, dresses of the Queen Victoria era.
Vintage style is a fashion culture. Some connoisseurs consider only those things vintage that saw the light before the 60s of the 20th century to be vintage. It is assumed that trousers, dresses and sweaters can be released 20 years ago, while younger items of clothing are retro. To create a vintage look, it’s not enough to have a few old gizmos. The clothing ensemble must inevitably embody a certain direction of the fashion of the past. Even underwear and accessories should together reflect the fashion trends of their time. Authentic fashion connoisseurs are looking for gizmos of past decades, acquiring old collections of fashion houses.
Among fashion professionals, costume historians, and just vintage lovers, discussions are unfolding on the topic: which thing is called vintage and which is called antique. According to some definitions, even an old grandmother’s dress found in a chest can be called antiques. And vintage is a thing that has a pronounced stylistics of a particular period of fashion. These items were not mass tailored products. The ability to dress in vintage style is also a kind of art. After all, this requires not only to put on exclusive things, but also to be able to create a harmonious image with their help. After all, it is quite clear that vintage things cannot look like castoffs. They are surely being restored, specially customized according to the figure, so that they look perfect, looking for suitable accessories.
Vintage jewelry and handbags can be both genuine antiques and vintage styling. There are also alternative types of vintage. Stylish old clothes are not available for everyone who wants to dress in vintage style, but there are other options. For example, they sew clothes according to patterns from old magazines from specially selected fabric. Sometimes such things are artificially aged, resulting in a worn effect. This is called pseudo-screw. Thrash vintage is created from inexpensive items of the 20-80s, bought at the "flea markets".
"Star Vintage" - personal belongings of celebrities of the past. In pursuit of such things, collectors do not spare a lot of money.
Vintage style applies not only to wardrobe items, but also to interior decoration. At present, in Europe it has become very fashionable to furnish rooms with furniture in the style of the 40s and 70s of the last century. The pre-revolutionary Art Nouveau style is also popular. In many houses, it is now customary to have antiques: typewriters, radios, telephones, antique toys.
It is difficult to imagine, but it turns out that our today's dresses, blouses, handbags, as well as household appliances, having sunk someday into oblivion, will gain a new life some time later, becoming rare and extremely popular.
Did you see a mistake? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter
Vintage in clothes
Modern clothing, which is called this word, is divided into two types
- Stylish things that were made in the past, but at the same time did not lose their charm and are well preserved.. Clothing does not have to be new; used items are allowed.
Attention! The basis of this trend is the age of clothing.
According to some designers, this category includes things that were made in the first half of the last century (from the 20s to the 60s). In this case, the item must be piece. If it was made on a stream (factory), even with excellent preservation and the presence of tags, this is a second-hand.
Others refer to this category products that have existed for 30 to 60 years. That is, things sewn in the 90s are not all stylists agree to consider vintage. And too “age” products they refer to antique.
- Modern products stylized as “retro”. Many famous fashion designers have creations in this technique.
"Business card" of time
In order to understand how vintage things look, it is worth turning your eyes to the history of fashion.
- For twenties the following features are characteristic: a loose cut sometimes seeming shapeless, the length of the hem is slightly higher than the knees, an asymmetrical bottom line, and evening dresses are trimmed with a variety of decor (mesh, feathers, bugles, sequins, sequins, fringe).
- AT thirties fabrics with a metallic sheen, a high collar at dresses and blouses, a collar-collar with ties or a bow become popular.
- FROM forties years in the women's wardrobe there are men's things (jackets, trousers, sweaters, cardigans, turtlenecks). Preferences are given to comfortable things with a simple cut.
- AT fifties on fashionable Olympus, trapeze dresses, high-waist skirts and tunics dominate.
- Sixties - the time of the appearance of the usual miniskirt.
What is vintage style in clothes?
Strictly speaking, "vintage" style in clothes never existed! This term was applied in relation to things in the early 90s, when the mods thought of finding and putting on things that were several decades old (as was then believed, vintage should be considered things no more than 50 and at least 20 years oldbut now the time frame has moved a bit into the past - no more than 90 and no less than 30 years).
An even broader concept - retro. These are all things over 20 years old. (includes vintage - until the 20s of the twentieth century, and antiques - everything that used to be).
However, an incident soon came out - fashion designers began to sew collections stylized as vintage, and even artificially age new things! Therefore, now there are varieties of vintage in which to navigate!
- Vintage. Genuine items from famous designers or brands released no later than the 80th year.
- Neovintazh. Artificially aged things - faded, worn, etc. The style of a thing may not correspond to a certain time period!
- Stylized vintage. New things sewn in the style of a certain decade - there may be full copying, or individual recognizable features can be used - cut, silhouette, print of fabric, decoration, etc.
- Combined vintage. New clothes when sewing which used individual elements of this vintage - buttons, lace, braid, etc.
- Sewing from vintage fabrics. Finding a piece of such a fabric is good luck! Someone sews from them patterns on patterns of that period when fabric is let out, and someone - things of modern design.
20s - 30s - movie stars style
In these two decades, fashion did not originate on the catwalks! The main carriers of the style were movie stars - Vera Cold, Marlene Dietrich et al. Therefore, to recreate the glamor of the 20s and the luxury of the “golden hollywood” of the 30s, look for inspiration in old black and white films! Clothing in vintage style that should fall into your wardrobe:
- Tunic dress. It can be worn with a narrow belt on the hips, or you can without it. This style can look very elegant (such a dress is useful for a cocktail, an evening at the club), or it can become the basis of an everyday look - it all depends on the fabric and decoration! Stylish Americans wore tunic dresses made of silk, velvet and other expensive fabrics, with embroidery with sequins and beads ... This, of course, in the evening - and in the afternoon try to wear a tunic “a la 20s” from high-quality knitwear that will softly fit your figure . Dress length - from mini to midi, but the option “to the floor” is not excluded!
- Hat with small margins down. These hats were worn "both in the feast and in the world" - without decor or with artificial flowers, feathers, nets ...
- Clothing in the vintage style of the 20s should be complemented long low pearls - Wrap it twice around the neck so that the second turn descends at least to the waist, or tie a knot so that a loop forms below.
- Neckpiece. It is worn with evening dresses that have open shoulders and arms. It is advisable to complement this kit with high white or black gloves.
- “Under the neck” blouse with a small bow at the neck. It can be worn with any skirt, but best of all - with a pencil.
Who should wear vintage style clothing from the 1920s? It's wonderful style for slim, tall girls. And you don’t have to be complex if you don’t have a lush bust or “Latin American” hips - at that time such thinness and angularity were considered the ideal of beauty!
40s - time for big changes
In the 40s, under the influence of world shocks, fashion also transformed. The softness of silhouettes goes out of fashion, and clear contours come. Fashion industry was heavily influenced by military clothing - it has become a fashion squeak for a good decade and a half fitted shouldered jacketsworn either with a flare or with a narrow pencil skirt.
What clothes in style vintagefrom the 40s can be safely worn in our time?
- The same Blazer. Shoulders with shoulder pads, the waist is pronounced, because there is a sharp expansion from it, the length of the jacket is just above the middle of the thigh. Wear - with a straight midi length skirt or flared skirt.
- Mid-Calf Flared Dress. With or without a belt. Any colors, especially emphasize the style of vintage checked clothing or polka dots. In the evening version, the shoulders can be opened (strapless bodice).
It is worth trying the style of this period if you have a figure "hourglass" - all 40s clothing was designed to emphasize the waist!
50s - long live pin-up!
Military shocks are slowly a thing of the past - fashion is becoming brighter and sexier! And the quintessence of fashion trends of the 50s becomes pin up style. This is the style of poster advertising - corsets and tight-fitting T-shirts, flared skirts, strapless swimwear, puffy lips with scarlet lipstick, invariable heels, clarified curls ... The American dream!
How to diversify your wardrobe with things of this style?
- Cotton T-shirt with straps. Prints - polka dots, a cage, a flower ... Under it you can wear a straight or flared skirt, white or denim shorts, and on the beach - swimming trunks from a swimsuit!
- Headband. Curl your hair with large curls and put on a bright bandage or a scarf folded into a harness so that its ends form a mischievous bow!
A woman with any figure will find something suitable for herself in this style, but we especially recommend it to the owners feminine figure - all appetizing parts of the body will be perfectly emphasized! Although we warn you: pin-up - definitely not for the modest!
60s - era of hippies and dudes
The style of vintage clothing in the 60s undergoes another sharp change - the silhouettes again become geometric, the colors are bright, the contrasting combinations. A pronounced femininity leaves, women begin to wear things very similar to men's - pants with arrows, shirt with wide sleeves, jeans, boots, sleeveless jackets. The reason is the popularity of the movement. hippie. The site “Beautiful and Successful” has already talked about the hippie style, and now we’ll talk about what else can be brought from the fashion of the 60s today.
- Bright plain a-line dress. Length - to the knee. It is worn with both shoes and ballet flats, it provides a lot of options for choosing jewelry.
- Moccasins. Comfortable shoes for pants, suitable for business style.
- Shirt-blazer. In combination with a belt, such a color shirt can work well with jeans or dress pants.
You can choose what is right for you, having any type of figure. This fashion has already ceased to demand from women unconditional femininity of forms and silhouettes, however, if you do not like unisex, there will be no problems either!
How to wear vintage style clothes?
As you can see, the style of vintage clothing covers so many different directions that it’s difficult to call it a single style! How to wear vintage-style clothing - fully copy samples from the past or combine them with modern models?
At first glance, easier recreate the whole image. But actually, it’s more difficult! First, then complete historical conformity - not only in clothes, but also in shoes, accessories ... Secondly, it looks quite shocking! So we advise you to prefer the “vintage from head to toe” option for special occasions, parties and other non-casual events!
The combination of modern clothes and vintage style - squeak of fashion and a sign of special taste! Do not pursue historical authenticity, but try create your own style and image. For example, put on a 30s-style frill blouse with jeans. Or add the same jeans and a white T-shirt with interesting shoes with embroidery, which were worn in the 20s. A 40s wide-brimmed hat can be worn with a trench coat ...
The main thing is general harmony and conformity to your figure!
Author - Dasha Blinova, sympaty.net - Beautiful and Successful.
The title photo is from the blog lavitamia.ru.
Copying this article is prohibited!
What is vintage?
Vintage is a trend whose main goal is to revive the fashion features of past years. Vintage fans love to dress according to a particular fashion era or just add some vintage to their modern wardrobe.
At the moment, the vintage has become a sophisticated trend, which everyone can conquer, if you really try. Fashionable fashion bloggers and street style stars walk their vintage jackets, purses and shoes with might and main, inspiring everyone around to follow their example. Famous couturiers introduce elements to their new collections, hailing from the fashionable eras of the last century. Why not give it a try?
It is important to understand that only items of clothing and accessories that were made between the First World War and the 90s of the last century are considered vintage. Everything that was created before this time is called antiques, and after it - modern things.
Color of the decade
Each decade of the past century has its own colors.
- In the 20-30s, at the peak of popularity were bright colors. Especially widely used white and black. A rich golden or silver finish and decoration with beads, feathers, bugles were welcomed.
- In the 40s, outfits were distinguished by a simple cut and discreet range of blue, swamp, blue, gray, brown.
- Bright, joyful 50s and 60s were distinguished by light, pastel shades. Widely used as contrasting coral, red-pink and lemon color.
Reference! In the sixties came into fashion marine style, white and blue colors.
- AT seventies, with the advent of the hippie movement, at the peak of popularity were ornaments, geometry, folklore motifs.
Varieties of vintage clothing
It is also interesting that a thing does not have to be old. It can be a completely new dress or skirt, but made with the preservation of all the characteristic features of a certain period. There are several types of such clothes.
- Original product fashion designer who was sewn no later than 1980.
- Model fully copied with fashion from the 20th to the 80th year. Such a thing is called replication.
- clothingwhen sewing which is used the main feature of a certain decade's fashion.
- Products made using rare materials: Well-preserved antique fabric or trim (braid, lace, buttons, etc.).
Attention! In modern fashion, there is a branch of the style in question. It is called neovintazh and represents things that have a worn surface or are artificially aged.
How to wear vintage to look fashionable and attractive
But even if you bought or found such clothes - in order to look fashionable, you have to try. You need to be able to combine it correctly with other elements of the outfit. Our recommendations will help to achieve this.
- Enter vintage into your wardrobe gradually. Experiment with one item first.
- Do not use in your appearance more than three items this style.
- Be sure to choose things that best suit your body type.
- Make outfit according to situation and situation: formal gown, high-necked blouse for office, etc.
- For everyday use, it is better to dwell on things of a simple cut and muted colors, while for the holiday you can choose an extraordinary and bright outfit.
- When choosing clothes, first of all, consider its convenience.
- Do not be afraid to experiment and change things with varied decor: lace, beads, embroidery.
Винтаж − это дань ушедшей моде. Недаром говорят, что всё новое − это хорошо забытое старое. Often, it would seem, long-forgotten styles become super-popular again.