Automobile designers combine the knowledge of physics and automotive aesthetics to create a car that is pleasant to look at, safe, economical and driving pleasure. Car design is a competitive career that attracts many who love cars, trucks, vans and want to turn a car project into something real on the road. Auto designers are the guides to the future of society.
Must know and be able to
Start your career as a car designer in high school. Art and design classes are obvious in choosing to develop your drawing skills, but as a car designer, you will need excellent knowledge of mathematics and physics to process data from passenger cars with low wind resistance. In addition, it is necessary to develop written and computer skills in English and computer science classes. As the car design business becomes international, knowledge of one or more foreign languages will also be useful.
Decide which area of automotive design interests you the most. Automotive designers can work in one of three areas: exterior design, interior design, or color / decoration design.
- Outside designers decide how the car will look from the outside. Such designers sketch the structure, convert it to digital format, and then sculpt their designs from clay.
- Interior designers are focused on making the interior of the car convenient for the driver and passengers, and place controls and comfort in accessible places in the cabin without compromising safety for the driver and passengers. Interior designers also sketch their project, then on a computer, and then sculpt it from clay.
- Color / decoration designers decide which materials (metal, wood, leather, fabric, carpets) will be used inside and outside the vehicle to make it the most visually appealing and convenient. Color / decoration designers are primarily researchers: they do not make models, although they can create computer models of design goals.
The representative of this profession should know the methodology of product design, modeling, the basic properties of materials, production technology and its equipment.
As a designer, you need to be curious and interested in everything: the basics of engineering, international trends, fashion, graphic design. This will allow you to integrate your knowledge to achieve a specific goal.
- a combination of technical and artistic talent in a person,
- developed visual-figurative thinking, rich imagination, good aesthetic taste, sense of style,
- developed color sensation and accurate spatial eye,
- ability for long painstaking work,
- endurance of the visual analyzer,
- the ability to feel and understand their contemporaries, take into account their needs, preferences, national characteristics, financial situation,
Work is not recommended for people suffering from diseases of the musculoskeletal system (especially limiting the mobility of the hands), respiratory organs, as well as those with visual impairments that cause increased fatigue when working with images and looking at small details.
Design engineer, ergonomics specialist, design artist, architect.