Lunar cookies are traditional Chinese pastries that are usually cooked during the Lunar Festival. This festival takes place in China, Vietnam and other Asian countries. Lunar cookies are usually round in shape and have a sweet filling (most often it is a sweet red bean paste). In this recipe, dried fruit jam is taken as a filler.
- 1 cup jam or jam (350 grams)
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup sweet coconut
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Or take a red bean paste. In this case, you do not have to mix the ingredients. This paste will be enough.
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 Prepare the dough: mix flour, milk powder and salt.
- 2 Break the eggs into another bowl. Add sugar and beat for 5 minutes. Pour in the melted butter and add the vanilla extract.
- 3 Add a mixture of flour, salt and milk powder through a sieve to the liquid mixture. Knead the dough.
- 4 Put the dough on a surface sprinkled with flour, and knead it a little. Once the dough has become homogeneous, it is ready.
- Make a sausage out of the dough. Before working with the test, it is desirable that it spent the night in the refrigerator, then it will be easier to work with it.
- Cut the sausage into equal circles. It should be 15-20 round.
- 5 Prepare the filler. Combine apricot jam, chopped dates, coconut, and raisins. Mash all large pieces of apricot jam with a fork.
- 6 Preheat the oven to 190 ° C. Cover two baking sheets with parchment.
- 7 Roll each round of the dough so that the diameter becomes 7.5 centimeters. When rolling, try to leave the dough thicker inside the round, and thinner around the edges.
- Press each rolled round filling with a shape into a shape and give it the shape of a moon cookie. To pull the cookie out of the mold, hit the mold well on all four sides.
- If you do not have molds for moon cookies, give the round beef filling the maximum possible round shape and apply the pattern with a fork. You can simply draw some straight lines, waves or make a really complex cookie pattern. You can also use a seal or a mold for chocolate or any other shape of a suitable size.
- Serve with green tea.
- Put cookies in small boxes and hand them out to friends.
Step by step recipe
Beat softened butter with sugar until white. Add one egg at a time.
Sift flour with baking powder and add to the mixture of butter and eggs. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice.
Add flour a little, kneading, thereby, a soft, plastic dough.
We cover the baking sheet with parchment paper or sprinkle with flour. We fix the dough on a baking sheet, level it to a thickness of 1
1.2 cm (and it’s okay if not for the whole baking sheet).
Mix sugar with nuts and sprinkle with this mixture a layer of dough. Press by hand.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. The dough should just separate from the paper and gilded a little on top. But, in no case, do not overdry.
Remove the finished, baked layer immediately with the paper on a flat, even surface. Cool for 5 minutes, and immediately with the help of a form or a glass cut out cookies in the form of the moon from it. Everything is done quickly. The waste remains minuscule. And this is not waste, but also very tasty and can be used for desserts or just eat.