It may seem strange, but tasty and delicate seafood such as squid, unfortunately, are rare guests at our tables. It would seem that their incredibly low cost and ease of preparation should make squid one of the most popular products in the preparation of seafood. However, the not quite accurate description of how to cook squid in most recipes often leads to the wrong result. Our today's story, we will try to correct the situation, because correctly and skillfully prepared squid dishes are not only incredible tenderness and high taste, but also extremely nutritious value and even healing properties.
Squid meat is rich in essential amino acids and is literally a pantry of protein. By the content of easily digestible proteins and B vitamins, squids are several times superior to such familiar products as fish or animal meat. In addition, squid is rich in polyunsaturated fats, which play an essential role in a properly balanced diet. And, of course, like many other seafood, squids are extremely rich in such valuable minerals as iron, phosphorus, iodine, copper. Another distinctive feature of squid is the high content of extractive substances in their meat, contributing to the release of digestive juices, which makes squid an important and useful product for all who suffer from diseases of the digestive tract.
The unusually delicate taste and aroma of squid is completely devoid of a pronounced fish taste and rather resembles the taste of lobster meat. Squids are great not only for cooking salads, but also for frying, stewing, cooking soups. The most widely used squid meat found in dishes of Mediterranean cuisine and cuisines of Asian countries. The specifics of cooking squid meat requires knowledge of some simple secrets and tips, those secrets that Careful Eden carefully collected and prepared for you today. So, How to cook squid?
1. When choosing squid, pay close attention to the fact that the carcasses of frozen squid are not sticky and easily separated from each other. Stick together squids will tell you that they have already been defrosted. The meat of such squids can be bitter in taste and creep out during cooking. The color of the film covering the squid carcass can be from gray, slightly pink to purple, but the color of the meat itself must be white. If the color of the squid meat is different from white, this means that the squid has already been thawed, and their meat has absorbed the color of the shell. The taste of such meat can be irreparably damaged.
2. Cleaning squid is considered by many to be a troublesome and unpleasant task, however, this is not at all the case. In order to quickly and easily clean the squid from the film covering them, fold the frozen squid in a deep dish and pour boiling water. Almost all squid skin will immediately curl up and move away from meat. Immediately drain boiling water and clean the squid from the remnants of the film under running water, then carefully remove the insides and the transparent chord (spine) with your fingers. Your squid is fully prepared for further cooking!
3. The easiest way to cook squid is boiling. Very often squids are recommended to boil for 3 to 5 minutes. And therein lies a fatal mistake! Squids prepared in this way are tough and tasteless. The secret is simple. Squid meat should be cooked for less than three minutes or more than 30. After 30 minutes of cooking, the squid meat will again become soft and tender, but it will lose much in weight and volume. In order to properly boil squid, boil two liters of water in a saucepan, add salt to taste, bay leaf and peppercorns. Let the spiced water boil for another 5 minutes. Then dip defrosted and peeled squids one at a time in boiling water. Gently lower one squid into the water, quickly count to ten and take out the squid with a slotted spoon. Let the water boil again and lower the next squid. Boiled squids in this way are incredibly tender, soft and tasty.
4. Boiled squid can be eaten as a main dish, sprinkled with any white sauce, and can be used to make salads. Try a refreshingly delicate Mediterranean squid salad. Cut a half bunch of lettuce leaves not too finely, put in a deep salad bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice and mix. 150 gr. cut feta cheese (or Adyghe cheese) into cubes. Cut one boiled squid into thin strips. 100 gr. Separate green seedless grapes from the branches and cut each berry in half. Put cheese, squid and grapes in a salad bowl with lettuce, salt, season with 2 tbsp. tablespoons of olive oil and mix gently.
5. An unusually tasty snack is obtained if you fry the squid rings in deep fat. Defrost and clear 1 kg. squid. Cut them into thin rings. Mix ½ kg thoroughly to make batter. wheat flour, ½ liter of light weak beer, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon of salt. Ready batter should resemble sour cream in density. Heat 1 liter of vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or saucepan. Bread each squid ring in flour, dip in batter and fry in boiling oil until golden. Fry no more than 2 - 3 minutes! Remove the finished rings with a slotted spoon from the oil and put them in a colander or on a paper towel to get rid of oil residues. Serve with two to three different kinds of sauces.
6. Fried squid as the main hot dish? Easily! Easy and very simple. Slice the rings into two small squids. Cut two onions into half rings, and two cloves of garlic into thin petals. In a deep frying pan, heat 2 tbsp. tablespoons of olive oil and fry the onion and garlic in it until golden brown. Then add the squid, 1 tbsp. a spoonful of tomato paste, salt, black and red pepper to taste. Stir everything and fry over medium heat for 2 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and serve to the table with a side dish of boiled potatoes or rice.
7. Extremely tasty, delicate and aromatic cutlets are obtained, made from squid meat. Cooked in the usual way, they will delight you with a delicate taste and delicate aroma, while steamed, such cutlets will serve as an exquisite diet dish. Rinse and clean ½ kg. squid. Pass them once through a shallow grinder. Then pass the squid minced meat through a meat grinder a second time, along with 2 slices of white bread, soaked in cream, one hard-boiled egg, one head of onion and 1 to 2 cloves of garlic. To the minced meat, add salt, black pepper and ground rosemary to taste. Mix everything thoroughly and whisk lightly with a whisk or mixer. From the minced meat, form small patties, roll in a mixture of breadcrumbs and sesame seeds, and then fry in vegetable oil on both sides until golden. Serve with fresh vegetable salad and creamy sauce.
8. A truly delicious dish is mashed soup made from cauliflower and squid. With its delicate combination of light texture and a charming aroma, such a soup is able to captivate anyone. Put 500 g in a small saucepan. cauliflower, sorted into inflorescences. Add one carrot, chopped into large pieces, and one onion, cut into four pieces. Pour the vegetables with water so that it only slightly breaks them, add salt and cook over moderate heat for 30 - 35 minutes. Drain the broth in a separate bowl, and grind the boiled vegetables in a blender or meat grinder. Transfer the mashed potatoes back to the pan, add 100 gr. cream and dilute the vegetable broth to the desired density. In the prepared vegetable soup, add two small squids, sliced in rings. Put the pot of soup on the fire, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
9. Of course, speaking of seafood, it is difficult to ignore such a popular Mediterranean dish like risotto. Let's try making squid risotto? Peel and cut into a long thin straw 430 gr. squid. In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp. teaspoon of olive oil, add to it one teaspoon of oregano and rosemary leaves (fresh or dry), a little red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic. Fry for 30 seconds, then add the squid. Fry for another 1 minute. Remove from heat and drain the squid juice. Combine the squid juice with 5 cups of fish stock in a separate saucepan and bring to a boil. In a deep frying pan over high heat, heat 2 tbsp. tablespoons of olive oil, add 3 finely chopped cloves of garlic and fry them until golden brown, 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add 1 ¼ cup of rice with long grains and fry for another 4 - 5 minutes with constant stirring. Pour a cup of dry white wine into rice 1 and cook until it is completely absorbed. Do not forget to stir! Next, start adding a mixture of fish stock and squid juice. Add ½ cup at a time. Add each next portion only when the rice has completely absorbed the previous one. Do not forget to thoroughly mix the rice and do not reduce the fire! Cook rice in such a way until it becomes almost soft, just slightly crunchy (al dente). It will take you 18 to 20 minutes. Add your squid to the finished rice, 3 tbsp. tablespoons chopped parsley, mix everything thoroughly and warm over low heat for 1 minute. Before serving, add salt, black pepper and a little lemon juice.
10. If the previous recipe seemed too complicated for you - do not worry, but try to cook another dish of Mediterranean cuisine. Squid with raisins and pine nuts is cooked in Italy on Christmas Eve. 700 gr cut the squid into small pieces. Heat 2 tbsp in a pan. tablespoons of olive oil, add 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic and fry until golden brown. Then add the squid, 2 cups finely chopped canned or fresh tomatoes, ½ cup water, salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and simmer everything together for 10 minutes. Add ½ cup black olives, ¼ cup raisins and 2 tbsp. spoons of pine nuts. Mix everything thoroughly and simmer under the lid for another 10 - 15 minutes. Serve with crispbread or croutons.
Of course, to describe the endless variety of squid dishes is not a physical possibility, especially as part of a short article, but knowing the basic secrets of cooking these delicious seafood will certainly help you choose and tell you how to cook squid. And "Culinary Eden" on its pages is always ready to please you with new and new recipes for cooking squid dishes.
The first thing to do is unfreeze the squid. A quality product is covered with a thin crust of transparent ice. If the carcasses were frozen with each other and sprinkled with snow, then this indicates a violation of the rules of storage and transportation. The squids themselves should be pinkish on the outside, and the meat should be snow-white. Gray, yellow, violet shades directly indicate that the product has repeatedly thawed and managed to deteriorate.
Outside, the squid's body is covered with a thin skin that needs to be disposed of. To do this, it is immersed in frozen form in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. After that, the skin is folded, like on a blanched tomato, and is easily separated from the meat. Then the carcasses are cleaned from the insides.
Ways to cook squid
Where squids are caught, fishermen on the shore traditionally prepare their catch by roasting on coals or on the grill, and they also cook the ear from it. At home, we use other seafood processing technologies. Consider 5 ways to make squid tasty and simple.
The main thing with this method is not to overexpose the meat in boiling water, as it instantly acquires the consistency of rubber, decreases in size, and you can’t call it tasty anymore. Peeled carcasses boil a maximum of 3 minutes. In this case, they throw only boiling water in the boiling key. This is best done with a watch in front of your eyes, since after 3 minutes the result will be disastrous.
In the pan, the squid cooking time is a little longer. But in this case too, it is impossible to cross the limit barrier of 7 minutes. That is how much meat is cooked in boiling oil. Throw previously carefully cut rings or strips carefully prepared, already without skin, into the pan.
Under a closed lid, squid stew, as well as fry, can be no longer than 7 minutes. Otherwise, their meat will be hopelessly spoiled. The purpose of the cook is to preserve a delicate, slightly sweet taste, which, with too long a heat treatment, is easily lost.
Roasting squid in the oven is seriously different from other methods. Since it is impossible to achieve the preparedness of stuffed carcasses in 3 minutes, the second method is used - long-term heat treatment. After 40 minutes, the meat will regain the necessary softness, therefore, for such dishes, the control cooking time is 40 minutes or longer.
Many housewives love recipes for multicookers. You can set the temperature regime with great accuracy, time and not be afraid that the dish will burn or “run away”. Since the apparatus works with the lid closed and steam pressure is created inside, the time for the squid to reach readiness is less than when baking - only 20 minutes. Exceeding it is not recommended.
The most delicious seafood dishes
In many stores you can buy dried and sun-dried squids. With these nutritious seafood, pizza is prepared, as well as all kinds of salads. Over time, you will learn how to properly combine various products with squid meat, forming your own "base" of recipes. We will start with the simplest and most time-tested.
Squid in batter
How to cook squid by frying? The whole secret of this dish is the batter. There are many variations on this subject. Here are just some of them.
- Mix 1 egg with a few drops of lemon juice and a tablespoon of flour.
- Beat 100 ml of beer with a tablespoon of breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Fry half the finely chopped onion, mix with 1 teaspoon of finely chopped parsley with green onion, egg and a teaspoon of breadcrumbs.
The meat is pre-boiled in boiling salted water for no longer than 3 minutes. Then they cool. Next, the whole volume of meat is immediately loaded into the cooked batter and mixed thoroughly. After each piece is lowered into a pan with boiling oil and fried until golden brown, stirring continuously.
The finished dish is unloaded on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve immediately, while the crust of batter is still crispy.
Since squid carcass after cleaning is an ideal bag, it is often used just like that - for stuffing. Pork, beef, chicken - any filling will be good, the main thing is that it should be minced.
The filling must be prepared - it should not be raw. To do this, the minced meat is pre-fried in a pan with the addition of onions, tomato sauce, herbs. Instead of salt, it is better to use a tablespoon of soy sauce. Then the filling is sure to cool. At this time, squid is cleaned and boiled for 3 minutes. Now they can be started.
Stuffed carcasses are baked in the oven at a temperature of 250 ° C for 15-20 minutes. You do not need to wait for the appearance of a golden brown crust; instead, it is better to sprinkle the dish with spices: red pepper, turmeric. Instead of baking, you can use frying, then the cooking time is 3 minutes on each side.
This dish is called a cocktail, because it usually includes all available seafood. Most often squids and shrimp are at hand, so the recipe with them is considered a classic. However, octopus, mussels, and crabs can be added to the salad.
We will need:
- shrimp - 300 g
- squid - 250 g,
- eggs - 5 pcs.,
- olives - 180 g
Boil the shrimp until cooked and carefully clean the shell. Then boil squids for 3 minutes, cut into rings or strips. Eggs must be hard boiled (cooking time - 12 minutes). Cut olives in half, and if very large - in rings. Finely chop the greens, sprinkling with salt and favorite spices. Mix all the ingredients.
Squid rings in sauce
Boiled squid rings are tasty in their own right. Therefore, they can be consumed immediately, seasoned with a suitable sauce. Here is one of the recipes.
- майонез – 100 г,
- сметана – 100 г,
- garlic - 3 cloves,
- кедровые орешки обжаренные,
- черный перец,
- кунжут – 10 г.
Все ингредиенты тщательно смешиваем, чеснок натираем на терке, зелень мелко рубим. Смазываем ароматной смесью кальмары, подаем на стол. Особенность этого соуса в том, что хранится он недолго, поэтому заготавливать впрок не стоит, желательно употребить в течение суток.
The holiday recipe will not leave anyone indifferent.
We will need, in addition to 400 g of squid:
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small onion,
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar,
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon of paprika, black and red pepper, coriander,
- 2 cloves of garlic,
We cut the squid rings and boil for 3 minutes. Then we put it in a glass container, adding carrots cut into thin strips. Sprinkle with sugar and spices, salt, pour vinegar. In a pan, fry the onion rings with sesame seeds. Three garlic on a grater. Mix all the ingredients and leave the salad in the refrigerator for at least 7 hours.
When serving, be sure to sprinkle with finely chopped greens.
A traditional Italian dish is cooked quickly and has an excellent taste.
We will need:
- squid (pre-cooked 3 minutes) - 500 g,
- rice - 200 g
- bell pepper - 2 pcs.,
- tomato paste - 2 tablespoons,
- onion - 1 pc.,
- butter - 2 tablespoons,
- basil (or zira) - 1 teaspoon.
In a hot skillet, we heat the butter along with bell pepper, diced, and finely chopped onions. After the pepper is soft, add the tomato paste and pour the whole rice. Fry everything together for a couple of minutes, and then pour a glass of boiling water and cover with a lid.
Secrets and Tricks of Squid Cooking
There are several subtleties that the cook is well aware of, but it will not hurt us to adopt the following nuances.
- It is best to buy carcasses with peel, since factory cleaning involves mandatory heat treatment. There is a risk of getting tough meat.
- Freshly frozen seafood is stored in the freezer for 1 month.
- The most delicious squids are small, they have more tender meat.
- You can also cook meat on the grill - the frying time on each side is only 1.5 minutes. After removing from heat, salt and pepper, and you can eat.
Knowing how to cook squid, you can be sure - for the festive table you will always have a win-win recipe in stock, it is enough to have seafood in the freezer. The beauty of tender meat is that it is cooked very quickly. Following the simplest instructions, you can delight loved ones with a dish not inferior to the masterpieces of the chefs of expensive restaurants.
How to cook squid?
Found recipes with photos - 96
Parsley - 20 g
Spices to taste