When you drive alone in a car, it’s very difficult to understand that you are falling asleep. The first symptoms of the onset of falling asleep are the moment when you begin to notice your blinking. In ordinary life, a person blinks every 10-15 seconds and does not notice this.
If you understand that you notice blinking, try multiplying 15 by 5 in the head, usually this mathematical operation is not difficult, but with extreme fatigue it is difficult to multiply even single-digit numbers.
Sometimes fatigue (falling asleep) manifests itself in the form of hallucinations. For example, after 12 hours at the wheel, I watched the columns of fencing across the road, in another case, I saw that I was driving through a dark city for the place of the forest, that is, the houses were tall, there were windows in the houses and there was no light in them. You get out of the car amusingly, and there is a forest for the place of houses, so after that I stopped to sleep ....
How does a passenger understand what the driver is falling asleep?
To understand the condition of the driver, it is important to have a constant dialogue with him. As a driver, I myself noticed that passengers often ask the question: “How are you?”, Usually the driver answers: “normal” and goes on. The problem is that in order to answer “normally”, you don’t need to think, this answer is given automatically.
If you want to control the driver’s condition, ask about something more meaningful, for example: “where are we going?”, “How many kilometers are left to the destination?” Or “what to give to a mutual friend for his birthday?”.
The fact is that the brain turns off gradually, it is possible to generate a “normal” answer to the question “how are you?” To the point of fatigue, and, accordingly, simple questions do not control the driver’s state.
Agree if you ask the driver for something complicated, and understand that he is responding nonsense, you will immediately determine that the driver is falling asleep.
Tips for not falling asleep while driving
Many drivers who are faced with long, nightly and monotonous trips wonder what to do in order not to sleep while driving. Perhaps you should heed the following recommendations:
- If time permits, then spend the night in a car or in roadside hotels. Otherwise, the driver must provide himself with a short-term sleep, in other words, he needs a nap. A short sleep will recharge and invigorate the body. Thanks to short-term sleep, it is possible to deceive the brain, it is not yet immersed in the deep phase of sleep, but is limited to short.
- Energy drinks and / or coffee. This is a classic method to cheer up, but do not forget that caffeine has an individual effect on each organism. According to statistics, more than 10% of people get drunk on him, and another 10% calms down more. If coffee has no effect, you can experiment a bit by adding a slice of lemon, ginseng or eleutherococcus to it. These components accelerate the process of absorption of coffee by the stomach. Power engineers should not be abused, as they have a negative effect on the human body.
- Music can have a different effect on the state of an overworked driver: it lulls someone, and invigorates someone. To achieve 100% of the result, you need to sing along, preferably as loud as possible, because in this case the brain is better provided with oxygen, and it is easier to overcome new kilometers. It is worth refraining from calm and sad songs, it is better to give preference to funny and incendiary tracks.
- During the trip, you need to limit yourself to food, as a well-fed person often sleeps. It is recommended to take salted fish, nuts or crackers on the road. They can be eaten while on the road.
- On the road, do not forget about sports. If you run a few tens of meters from the car and back, you will be able to cheer up. In addition, the brain will be saturated with oxygen, which will increase concentration.
The traditional assertion is that a night's rest should last 8 hours, and you need to go to bed earlier ...
How to deal with drowsiness while driving with medical methods
There is another proven method of what to do in order not to fall asleep while driving a car. You can take special caffeine tablets that are easy to consume. Their composition is similar to energy, but the concentration of active components is slightly higher. The second advantage is that they are more compact. Their cost is quite low. They are produced by various pharmaceutical brands.
From driver fatigue will help:
- Pills with ginseng extract.
- Bioskan + driver (caffeine is absent).
- Vitamin B6 + Magnesium.
Caffeine deficiency in the body adversely affects the functioning of the nervous system, so the dosage should be calculated in such a way as to feel vigor and a surge of strength. But the main thing is not to exceed the permissible dose, as this leads to excessive disinhibition, worsening of concentration and depression. Everything should be moderated.
We have all heard that eating after six in the evening is harmful to the figure and human health. However, after ...
The first secret is a dream.
No matter how strange it sounds, so as not to fall asleep, you need to lie down and sleep. Sure, this is very funny, but it really is. If at 20-30 years a person lies down and sleeps for several hours, then with age the ability to sleep an hour or two and get enough sleep. Agree that it is better to stop and sleep than to fall asleep while driving and end your life in a chipper.
The second secret is the interlocutor.
The interlocutor on a long road, an important component of traffic safety. The fact is that when the brain falls asleep, it turns off gradually, at first we blink more often, then we stop thinking, then we simply cease to control the situation, and the car drives by itself until it crashes into the nearest obstacle. While you are meaningfully talking, you will not fall asleep!
Traditional medicine tips from drowsiness while driving
Night drivers with experience have tried many ways to deal with drowsiness during monotonous and night trips. In their opinion, the following are most effective:
- During the trip, use the ladder method. The method is effective for drivers who are on the road for more than one day. The bottom line is to break sleep into sessions of 20 minutes, all should be in the daytime. This is due to the value of daytime sleep. 2 sessions of 20 minutes will be equivalent to 5 hours of night sleep.
- It is proved that sharp aromas do not even let a tired person fall asleep. The aroma of citrus invigorates and it is scientifically proven. The aroma of lemon activates the hypothalamus, which is responsible for concentration. They are constantly used by truckers during flights. It is not enough just to stock up on lemons, with them you must do the following:
- cut into quarters and periodically inhale the aroma of citrus,
- remove the peel, chop the pulp and spread it near you,
- cut the lemon like a flower and hang it next to the driver's seat.
- Drinks containing caffeine, of course, great invigorate, but it is better to take a chatty passenger on the road. Statistics say that it is lonely drivers who get into accidents much more often. Next to it is better to put a button accordion player, navigator and merry fellow in one person. During active conversations, the subcortex of the brain works, it does not allow the driver to fall asleep. If the passenger in the next seat begins to fall asleep, it is better to send him to the back. The sight of a sleeping person will awaken a dream even more. Some drivers recommend immediately placing a companion in the back seat, they say, this opens a good view of the driver.
- Change in physical condition. There are many methods: change the temperature of the air, perform physical exercises and / or alternately strain / relax a specific muscle group. The temperature can be reduced on the climate control of the car or just lower the window - the flow of fresh invigorating air will invigorate. An alternative is to stop, squat, wash with cold water and hit the road again. If the driver experiences dry eyes, it is recommended to use special pharmacy drops.
The third secret is cold
The fact is that it is much more pleasant to sleep in the warmth. I think each of you has heard the expressions: “it has defrosted in the sun”, “it has defrosted in the heat” and the like, the cold is not a good incentive to fall asleep, while the air conditioner does not give such an effect as an open window. In fact, an open window is a delay, and you should use this method carefully, and only if you really have to go a few kilometers.
The fourth secret is charging.
Sometimes it makes sense to stop on the side of the road and run 50-100 meters, sit down several times, bend down several times, this can win 10 or 15 km of track, but in essence it is a delay and applying this method is careful and only if you have to go really a few kilometers. Here is an example of a minibus driver warming up on a long road:
There is an opinion that listening to loud music is impossible to sleep, I assure you this is not so. Personally, I fell asleep, not reaching 5 km to the city of Natalinsk, where I had to get to rest.
This was the only time I fell asleep at the wheel and I did it to the song Bon Jovi - “It’s My Life” at almost full volume on the radio. What is interesting, I saw that the car was going the wrong way, but I could not do anything about it, I did not understand the situation ....
Coffee and Cigarettes.
As a person who previously smoked, I argue that cigarettes do not invigorate when you are in an extreme degree of fatigue, after you smoke a cigarette your eyes will defocus and you will lose orientation in space for a while.
Tangent coffee - yes, for a while, the eyes open wider, but in fact, caffeine helps little with extreme fatigue, the brain does not start working, it needs a dream.
I understand that each body is individual, but personally these caffeinated drinks never helped me, but the desire to sleep passes, but the brain does not start working and it looks like general inhibition with external vigor.
What if you often have to travel long distances alone?
The most important recommendation is to observe the regime of work and rest, a limit is set for truckers (400 km per day), this is not enough for a passenger car, but my practice has shown that more than 800-1200 km, even for an experienced driver, is the limit (the bar is individual and depends on the season, skills and habits of the driver) . For a novice driver, do not drive more than 500 km per day ....
Such an alarm clock allows you to slightly increase safety during prolonged driving:
When the head deviates from a vertical position, it makes a nasty sound.
This thing costs 100-150 rubles (you can buy on aliexpress), and perhaps it will not let you fall asleep at the wheel.
I hope that the article answered the question of what to do in order not to sleep while driving. If you have your secrets and tricks, tell us about them in the comments.
Effective ways to stay awake while driving
Going on a long journey by car, it is imperative to be prepared so as not to fall asleep while driving. You should get the advice of experienced motorists, especially those who had experience passing the upcoming highway.
For beginners, it is undesirable for the first time to go on a long road on their own. It is better to have an experienced driver nearby, who knows how to deal with sleep and can give advice or replace driving if necessary.
Careful preparation for the trip
Before you go, you should carefully study the route. The road is divided into certain sections of the path, after passing each of them it is necessary to make a stop, rest and, if possible, go to bed.
It is practically proved that after a motorist continuously drives a car for 4 hours, attentiveness is halved, and after eight - six times.
Tips experienced motorists from sleep on the road
Experienced drivers have their own personal sleep control tips. So, there is a folk method to draw water into the mouth. As soon as it starts to sleep, the muscles relax, the jaws open, and water flows out.
Do not fall asleep at the wheel at night helps to set the chair in an uncomfortable position. It will be uncomfortable to sit, which will not allow you to disconnect.
The best cure for sleep is an interesting, talkative companion. Fascinating conversation does not rest the brain. The main thing is not to get carried away so much that the attention to the road will decrease.
Also, the passenger can observe the driver and notice his sleeping state. It is better that he is in the back seat and all the time watching his eyes in the mirror. If the satellite began to fall asleep, it is necessary to stop and rest. A person sleeping nearby can lull a motorist with measured sniffles.
Music and singing
If you are traveling alone, you should take an audio device with you and listen to music along the way. It can be a rhythmic, dance tune, an interesting detective book. The main thing is that they capture, not lull.
Feel that the music is not invigorating? Sing loudly, you can not be shy, because no one hears you. Remembering the words, the melody you load the brain. Also, voice exercises make the lungs work more energetically, the body is saturated with oxygen, the organs are activated and do not let you fall asleep.
For some people, in order to dispel drowsiness, it is enough to drink a cup of strong coffee, for others this method does not help at all. Sometimes caffeinated drinks (such as Coca-Cola) can have a positive effect.
A lot of energy drinks are being produced now. They invigorate very well, do not let you fall asleep, the action lasts a long time.
There are special energy pills that contain taurine, caffeine, and vitamins to help you keep driving all day. Preparations are more convenient than drinks to take while driving, packaging takes up little space.
Ginseng tablets are invigorated. But their action does not occur immediately. If you have a long road, you need to start taking them in advance. It comes with caffeinated chewing gum that is convenient to use on the go.
It is best to deal with this problem through sleep. If it is not possible to stop for a long time, you can put the vehicle on the side of the road and sleep for 20-30 minutes. This will drive away fatigue, will help to further continue the path without risk to life.
When planning a trip, it is best to think over the place of accommodation in advance, take care of the possibility of short breaks. So the driver will be more confident, comfortable feeling on the road.
Citruses have an invigorating effect on the body. Using them in small portions, you can brighten up the monotony of the road. It helps to get distracted and give the brain additional load of nuts, crackers, dried fruits, chewing gum.
You can use sweets. It is desirable that they be small and with very diverse tastes.
Cool air helps to cheer up, so periodically it is worth ventilating the interior. Washing with cold water has a good effect, you can moisten your face, neck, chest.
With an air conditioner, you can set a low temperature for at least a short time. This will help the body to cheer up, accelerate drowsiness.
When there is a feeling of drowsiness, you should get out of the car, do some exercises. Turns of the body, squats will help.
You can walk around the car, on the side of the road. This method will help to cheer up and stretch the muscles after a long forced sitting.
The use of electronic signaling devices
If you often have to travel long distances, you should buy a special electronic device against sleep. There are different models. The most common are:
- "Anti dream". The device is mounted behind the ear and in case of a change in the position of the head emits a sound signal.
- "Ai Tracker" has a whole tracking system for the head and eyelids. With signs of falling asleep, he emits sound, vibration signals.
- “Stop slip” is made in the form of a ring worn on a finger. If the position of the head has changed, a signal sounds, a vibration occurs, waking the motorist.
There are special assistants for the driver, which are equipped with modern cars. They control the location of the car relative to the road markings. In case of deviation, a loud signal is emitted.
First signs of falling asleep
All the measures taken to prevent falling asleep will be of little use if you do not catch the signs of early sleep. One must be able to distinguish between ordinary tiredness and the need to immediately stop and rest. If there is anyone to change, you should do it immediately. Hazardous signs:
- you start to notice the moment of blinking,
- optical illusion,
- attention does not focus
- hard mental activity
- minor traffic violations.
Usually a person does not notice the moment of blinking. If this happens while driving, a sure sign of drowsiness. The fact that the figures on the horizon when approaching turn out to be something completely different or completely disappear indicates an imminent shutdown of the brain. The following test speaks of falling asleep. Try to look at the appliances for a moment. If you can’t remember their testimonies, there are only a few seconds left before the shutdown.
Try to make simple arithmetic operations in your mind. В состоянии бодрствования это не составляет труда. Засыпающему человеку сделать это лень, не хочется разговаривать.If there is silence in the cabin, soon everyone will fall asleep. It is advisable to conduct a conversation just about nothing, but to discuss some exciting topic.
The opinion of doctors
Most doctors are unanimous in their opinion - the key to high brain activity and a good concentration of attention is a full sleep. Without it, long distances cannot be overcome. Even a short, but full sleep will give energy and vigor.
For preschool children, daytime sleep is a time when they can relax and gain strength. After him, the kids ...
If possible, it is better to sleep in the car or in the hotel until the morning. The busy road and the rays of the sun will invigorate even more.
So, there are many ways not to fall asleep while driving. Tips and tricks seem pretty simple, but they should be remembered and strictly adhered to.
The listed recommendations can be used by drivers of different categories. On the roads you have to be very careful. Have a good trip!
A long flight alone: how to be
Before a long trip, you should carefully prepare. Especially if you have to drive the path alone. The following points need to be considered:
- Carefully study the route, think through which settlements you will go, where you will turn off.
- Break the path into segments. Be sure to stick to this plan, get out of the car at stops, warm up.
- Calculate the time you spend driving during the day. But if you get faster to the intended place for the night, do not miss it, stop and be sure to relax.
- Try to avoid driving in the dark.
- Pump up music tracks that you like, invigorate and keep you awake.
- Make a supply of coffee, energy drinks.
Try to stop on rest where other truckers do it. Night is not the best time for a long journey. Calculate your strength. Do not go on a long flight, especially without a partner, without enough experience and practice.
On a long journey, safety is the most important. Fighting sleep behind the wheel should be individually, empirically. Having a good effect on one person, they may not help the other.
It is better to go on a long journey with an experienced driver who will help, help to cope with unforeseen situations. Trips should be started over short distances, gradually increasing their length. Attentiveness, maximum concentration while driving are the key to personal safety, security of life of passengers and other participants in the movement.